Heart Disease Expert Forum
Second Heart Bypass

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Second Heart Bypass

I am 67 years old, female, and had a triple bypass May 2010. Nine months ago I was told I had total occlusion of the widow maker and there was no way to put a stent there...I am having some random small pains...is it out of the question to have a second bypass surgery?...what other alternatives are there??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The "widow maker" is a colloquial term for the left anterior descending artery, which supplies blood to the whole anterior wall of the heart. If you had bypass surgery in 2010, this artery was likely already bypassed (it is the most commonly bypassed vessel because it is the most important one). If this vessel was already bypassed, then the presence of a blockage was probably already known. If the bypass graft is what is blocked, then consideration of another bypass wouldn't be unreasonable, but only after documentation that the blockage is causing decrease blood flow (ie you would need a stress test)