Second bypass surgery?
My husband has had a history of heart disease.  At the age of 37, while running up to 5 miles a day, never smoked a day in his life, had a massive M.I.  He had another M.I. at the age of 40, still was in very good shape physically.  His heart health detoriated and he had a quadruple bypass at the age of 47.  He is now 53 and his tests show that 3 of the 4 veins from the bypass surgery are blocked.  Doctors are now deciding if it will be possible to stent these blockages or if he will need another bypass surgery.  Has anyone had a second bypass done?  If so, how difficult was it?  Also would love some input into why a very healthy person (no high cholesterol, non-smoker, exerciser) would come to have heart disease - the response we are getting is that it is genetics which may be the case but not totally convinced.  Also, why would his bypass veins become blocked so quickly.  If anyone has anything that they can share it would be much appreciated.  We are quite devastated at this latest news.
   I haven't had a second bypass, but I had a similar situation where my triple bypass at the age of 47 collapsed after just 3 months. It was agreed by many cardiologists that I was not a good candidate for bypass grafting. Stuck at the same hospital with the same cardiologists, we just kept going round and round in circles because I could only be offered what their expertise could handle, which was nothing in my case due to the severity of the blockages. After 2 years I got sick of it and decided to choose a different hospital, but this time a research/training one with the real experts. These hospitals hold the front runners of experience. A Cardiologist there took one look at my Angiogram images and said he could re-open the blockages. I was obviously concerned and said how others had stated it was very dangerous and basically impossible. His confidence was astounding and he simply said "ah, but they don't know my tricks of the trade". Two hours after starting, my blockages were gone. I stayed overnight and went home early next morning. This was two years ago and that vessel has remained fully open. The blockage was in my LAD and the reasons others wouldn't touch it are..... It started too high up, right next to the branch of the circumflex. The blockage proceeded downwards and round a curve, about 3 cm long. The rest of the vessel was not fully blocked, but was heavily diseased. He cleaned the whole vessel with 5 of the longest stents available.
Thank you for your response.  We have also thought about the possibility of changing hospitals but are thinking of making that decision when they give us options.  What you have responded to us has given us some hope that there are Dr's out there that can help.  Can you tell me where you had your procedure done?  It seems everyone has some opinion/advice, etc to offer my husband and it is becoming very frustrating for both of us at this time.
Mine was done in London, at Imperial college.