Heart Disease Community
Seeking MD opinion and MedHelp Member experience

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I thought I would post this here also as I posted it in Pain Management.

I'm 62 year old male with Chronic Joint Pain. I'm being seen by Pain Management Teem. Since my last post my pain has worsened . I have also have cardiac issues. EF 22% to 25% and I'm living on one artery.  Also to add to this I have to watch my kidneys. as my CREAT levels have been 1.33 to 2.71. and my BUN 22 to 46 All that being said ,,,,

My PM decided I should try Pregabalin otherwise know as Lyrica. and I did.. This drug is used to treat fibromyalgia ... and nerve damage but it is only a side effect to what the drug was meant for. Here's what happened. Both feet and left hand swelled as if I had cardiac arrest. From side to side across the lower back hurt like something I haven't felt for a long time. My fear was my kidney's. I immediately stop taking it after 5 days and the swelling  in my feet and hand went down 5 days later leaving only slight back pain.
I feel that I almost had to take this drug in order to comply with pain management suggestions... It pizzes me off that we have to put up with such recklessness of our PMs who are nothing but Nurse Practitioners. in the VA system.

Question.1 Has anyone tried this drug as a form of pain management? And has any one had any adverse reactions?
Question 2 For a professional MD. was prescribing this drug, at the least out of touch and on a mission of her own.
Here is a warning from the it's own web site. Do not take Lyrica if you have had kidney problems, or have had heart problem including heart failure. My CREAT was 1.31 and  BUN 36 when she ordered it and she knew it.

Currently I take 15 mg Morphine every 6 hrs. and 5mg oxycodone as needed for breakthrough . It's not doing the trick anymore. I need a raise. This prescription is a year plus old..
Thanks in advance for any replies in this issue....

BK