Heart Disease Expert Forum
Severe Distal heart disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Severe Distal heart disease

Eight years ago my father had triple bypass surgery. A few nights ago he woke up with severe pressure and pain in his chest. Taken to the emergency room they applied a nitro patch which gave him releaf.  The following day he had the heart catherization.The doctor who performed this catherization told me that his enzymes were negative as was the ekg which indicated to him that he did not experience a heart attach and although the grafts were somewhat blocked was not the problem. The problem was where the grafts met the heart and turned smaller (capillaries). I asked him what we can do and he indicated that nitro and other meds are the only current choice. My question is this, Why can't a bypass into the smaller capillaries be done and if they cannot, is there nothing else that can do for him such as laser,DNA therapy or other treatments which can establish some sort of collateral blood flow?  Please comment and direct me somewhere for further reading or study.  Sounds like he's got a good heart but lousy plumbing...
Dear Bob
There is no way to put bypass grafts into capillaries. There are newer methods being investigated to improve blood flow in your father's situation. Laser therapy and gene therapy are two of the experimental treatments he may be eligible for. He would be welcome to make an appointment with Dr. Ellis here at the Clinic using the number below.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.  Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.