Heart Disease Community
Severe Postural Tachycardia?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Severe Postural Tachycardia?

My wife has suddenly fallen ill with Tachycardia. Her hands and feet are sweaty. If she stands her heart races to 150bpm. Resting she is around 90. Blood pressure always is within normal range. It does not appear to fall when standing but we are not sure because she can't stand long without getting light headed. She gets dizzy trying to read. Her chest feels "heavy" and her chest is tender to the touch. The ER said everything is fine with an echo, ekg, ect. She does not have the strength for a stress test. We are waitng for the tilt table test trying to rule out POTS. They put her a beta blocker but it does noy appear to be working after 4 days. Pounding water, and leggings also seem to have no effect on her symtoms (symptoms). She is miserable. No previous trama, operations, just a healthy mom one day, and the next day she is bed ridden.  
Anything you can shed on this subject would be helpful. We are in Houston and there does not seem to be a Dr. who specializes in this area, atleast that I can find.
Hi Pleasehelp411,

Has your wife been to see her own physician?  It may be more helpful than seeing the ER doctor since he/she knows her better.  Did your wife, or the doctor, say she does not have the strength for a stress test?  The tilt table test may give you the answers you are looking for?  Also, has she had blood work to rule out other conditions?  Let the doctor know that the beta blocker is not working....he/she may change the medication or the dose.  Is she supposed to wear leggings?  '

I'm so sorry that your wife is having so much difficulty.  She is lucky to have you helping her.  Have you tried posting on one of the "Ask an Expert" forums?  Doctors answers questions posted on the Expert Forums.  Try cutting and pasting your questions an see if you can get a post on the Expert Forum.  In the meantime, I'm hoping some of our community members can help.

Are you near the Texas Heart Institute?  I've heard wonderful things about the THI...

Wishing you the best!
connie
Avatar n tn
Our family doctor all but said it was in her head. We are trying the leggings to prevent pooling in the legs that is comon with pots. She says that there is no way she can do the stress test. I am inclined to believe her because she can't even sit up for for the 5 minutes. Blood work has been done twice, all came back fine. Both at the ER and the Doctors office.
Thanks for your advice on the other forum. I will try it as well. I have to find a way to make her better. She has done nothing but give to me and our son. Worse than her own limitations is that she can't continue to care for us. That seems to be worse for her than the pain she is going through.
Have you considered a second opinion?  Maybe a family member or a friend can recommend a good local internest.  Whether your wife's symptoms are physical and or a result of a psychological condition, she is clearly struggling.  I understand how much it hurts her that she feels she is not "there" for you and your son.  

Good news on the blood work.  Maybe the tilt test will offer more information.  

Did the doctor recommend the leggings?  I'm not sure she should use those without a doctor's recommendation....

Keep us posted.
connie
  Post heart attack,even after the lapse of six months since its onset, I am not put on the stress test by my cardiologist for possibly due to the fear that I am lacking the strength for such a test. Wouldn't it let down the improvement of quality of life I am hoping to achieve all these days.?