Heart Disease Community
Severe headache, sick at stomach, fainting spells rapid heart beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My mother is a 77 year old women. Her weight is age appropriate however she is a smoker. She had a fainting spell about 3 years ago. Then dignoised with high blood pressure. She has been taking her blood pressure medicine. Last night she had another fainting spell with no warning worse than the one 3 years ago. She woke on the floor and her heart was pounding like it was going to come out of her chest, she has recently been having severe lower back pain to the point she is almost in tears. My question is all these symptoms what do they add up to. When we got her to the ER her blood pressure was high but went down and her heart rate was normal. What test do you suggest we do to get to the root problem?  Thanks Tina
I also had several spells of fainting and was diagnosed with neuromediated syncope. After a full heart work up (stress test, echogram, EKG, etc.) a tilt table test was administered. It was positive. I passed out in the hospital when my blood pressure reached 60/40. During the stress test it elevated to 170/115. Now it fluctuates back and forth between high and low like you described, which is very hard to manage. The tilt table test consisted of being strapped to a table and left to lay for 10 minutes, then the head of the table is lifted to an almost upright position and you are left standing in a dimly lit room for 20 minutes.