Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sharp Pain on left side of chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sharp Pain on left side of chest

I AM A 36 YEAR OLD MALE, THAT HAS BEEN HAVING CHEST PAIN ON AND OFF NOW FOR FIVE YEARS, I HAVE HAD SEVERAL TEST DONE IN THE PAST YEARS, SIX OR MORE EKG'S REGULAR STRESS TEST, ECHO STRESS, AND JUST TWO WEEKS AGO A CARDIOLITE STRESS TEST, ALL WERE NORMAL, I NOMALLY HAVE MY PAIN AT REST, IT SEEMS TO LAST 2-5 SECONDS, AND GOES WITH MY HEART BEAT.  IT IS NORMALLY ON THE LEFT SIDE, AND CAN BE A SHARP PAIN THAT TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY. I HAVE HIGH - NORMAL BP  130/90 I TAKE 2.5 MG OF VASOTEC ONCE A DAY, ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPREICATED. I AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT THIS AND I KNOW THIS IS NOT HELPING MATTERS.  COULD THIS BE PRINTZMENTOL ANGINA

OWEN

There are many causes of chest pain.  The one that doctors worry about the most is cardiac because it has the potential to be life-threatening.  Once this is ruled out the work-up can proceed at a more leisurely pace.

Amongst the cardiac causes of chest pain are: ischemia (due to blockages - including both stable and unstable angina and acute heart attack and coronary artery spasm), pericarditis (inflammation of the sack around the heart), myocarditis (inflammation of the heart), cardiomyopathy (heart failure) and rarer causes such as coronary artery dissection, acute rupture of the heart and valves and infections of the pericardium.

Gastrointestinal causes of chest pain include reflux (acid from the stomach washing back into the esophagus), gallstones, esophageal spasm, esophageal rupture, varicose veins of the esophagus, strictures of the esophagus, tumors of the esophagus and other less common GI problems.

Pulmonary (lung) causes include pneumonia, pulmonary embolus, pneumothorax, pleuritis and bleb rupture.

Other potential causes are aortic dissection, back and spine problems and musculoskeletal (muscle strain, rib fracture, etc.).

Psychological causes of chest pain are common and include panic attacks, anxiety, stress and mental duress.

As you can see the list of potential causes in long and may take a little bit of time to determine the precise cause.  A good Internal Medicine doctor should be able to work through the potential causes of your symptoms.
I AM 36 YEARS OLD FROM MALAYSIA.ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO I EXPERIENCED A MILD PAIN ON LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE CHEST.I HAVE DONE 3 STRESS TEST AND ENGIOGRAM WHICH HAS RULED OUT HEART PROBLEMS IE STROKE.BUT THE PAIN IS ALWAYS THERE EVERY MINUTE AND SECONDS.THE PAIN SEEMS TO BE INCREASING COMPARE TO THE PAST 2 YEARS AGO.WHENEVER I CANNOT TAKE THE PAIN ,I WILL CRY ANG RUN TO THE HOSPITAL ,THANKS GOD EVERY ECG DONE DOES NOT INDICATE ANY HEART PROBLEMS BUT YET THE PAIN IS THERE .AT TIME IT IS MILD AND TOWARDS THE EVENING WILL INCREASE UNTIL I SLEEP. MY CHOLESTROL LEVEL IS GOOD .BLOOD PRESSURE 130 /90, AND THE REST OF BLOOD TEST DONE IS GOOD INCLUDING CARDIAC ENZIME TEST IS FINE.EXCEPT MY URIC ACID IS 560 AND I AM A GAUTY, ATTACKED 2 TIME PAST 2 YEARS AND TAKING ZYLORICH MEDICATION AND FOOD CONTROL.BUT THE PAIN NEVER IMPROVE AND MAKE ME VERY STRESSFUL .MY DOCTORS RULED OUT HEART PROBLEMS .OPINION VARIES FROM ONE DOCTOR TO THE OTHER.GENERALLY THEY SAY IT COULD STRESS AND MUSCLESKELETON PAIN
AND MAY BE JUST A MUSCLE PAIN. FOR NOW I AM TAKING PAIN KILLERS
WHENEVER THE PAIN IS VERY DISTURBING IE VOLTRAN OR TIKOTIL OR MUSCLE RELAXANT TABLETS WHICH SOMETIMES HELP BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT FAILS ME.I AM ALSO ADVISED TO TAKE ANTI ENZITY TABLETS IE XANACS ,IT WORKS ONLY TO PUT ME INTO SLEEPING, AND YET THE NEXT DAY BY AFTERNOON THE PAIN WILL SLOWLY COME.
WHENEVER THE PAIN IS VERY DISTURBING IE VOLTRAN OR TIKOTIL OR MUSCLE RELAXANT TABLETS WHICH SOMETIMES HELP BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT FAILS ME.I AM ALSO ADVISED TO TAKE ANTI ENZITY TABLETS IE XANACS ,IT WORKS ONLY TO PUT ME INTO SLEEPING, AND YET THE NEXT DAY BY AFTERNOON THE PAIN WILL SLOWLY COME.HELP ME PLEASE.
I am a 60 year old male and have been relatively active for a number of years until last year when my knee started acting up and has been preventing me from my regular running.
I have always had a slow heart beat, in the mid 40's. Lately I have experienced a slight pain in the left portion of my chest, especially when at rest like in bed, probably when my pulse rate is at it's slowest.
I have low blood pressure,of slight build and in general good health. I try to stay active with my Nordic Track most every day.
Should I worry about this pain?
I just a few minutes ago had a extremely sharp pain go through my left side of my chest. it lasted approximately 2 seconds. My arm went numb, dry mouth and sweaty palms.. I checked my heart rate and it was 130/90.. I do have tonnes of stress in my life.. Divorce, child, finding a job, major debts owing.. I do not exercise regularly and I know I should.. What should I do in this situation?? anyone!!
forgot to mention, I am 33 year old male
I just walked 3 feet to go open the window, and my heart rate went from 130/90 to over 120 in a matter of 2 seconds. I am sweating now. I do have a history of panic/anxiety for the past few years. I am afraid to exercise not knowing which exercises i should start off with. I was told that it cause cure the attacks. Can someone please help me out with all required information from my three posts.
A related discussion, Chest discomfort was started.