Heart Disease Community
Sharp Pains In Left Arm & Side Of Chest (Heart?)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I am a 19 year old female, weighing 160 (mostly muscle) standing approxamately 5'7'', and about 3 months ago, I started having sharp pains in my left arm, the left side and middle of my chest. I have no insurance, so there were no doctors to help me. I went to the urgent care for my area and they did an EKG and a Chest X-ray, they were very thorough (NOT) and they said they couldn't find anything, and that it was "probably" either a pinched nerve, torn muscle tissue or some sort of inflammation. They gave me a prescription for vicodine and sent me on my way. It helped for a while (maily because I took more than recommended and was probably high) but about 3 weeks later, I revisted with the same symtoms (symptoms), only worse, and they still couldn't find anything. So now I owe about 1000 dollars in useless help and I still don't know whats wrong with me.
To this day I still suffer from the same pain off and on, and sometimes it travels into my shoulderblade, and usually either occurs suddenly or is a result of stress. Much like you, alcohol is also a big reliever of my pain and seems to be the only method for staying pain free. Eventually its going to detroy some other vital organ in my body, so I really don't want to continue to rely on such a hazadous methods, but it seems as though its the only thing thats worked. I also smoke, but for the most part, lead a pretty regular life. It's very nerve-racking to be so unsure about a pain so severe which in turn, causes me to stress which results in further pain.... It's a medical run around!!!! Any suggestions?