Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sharp stabbing chest pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sharp stabbing chest pains

Posted By Terry on February 04, 1999 at 15:51:11:

I have had sharp stabbing chest pains recently.  I wore a heart monitor a year ago which didn't find anything, but I was supposed to press the button when it occurred and at the time they were very breif and rare.  I had other exams of my heart and they said all is okay.  Yesterday I had a strong bout with the sharp pain that lasted for about 30 seconds where I had to sit down and the pain really made me worry.  But that was yesterday and it hasn't happened again since, though I think I have had slight aches in other areas of my chest since then that I hadn't noticed before, but I'm figuring after yesterday, I'm over attentative to this issue.  The pain is slightly below and to the left (my left) of my sternum (which is where my heart is, correct?).  The aches I've had since that are at my sternum and also in the right side of my chest.  But the sharp stabbing pain was a pinpoint spot and was extremely painful at the time.  I've read that is not a symptom of a heart attack.  Do you have any idea what could be causing the pain?  I have had a history of stomach gas problems, but I think this is too high for that.  Thanks in advance for your opinion.