Heart Disease Community
Sharp stabbing pains left upper chest near heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I am 40 years old and have a history of palpatations, however, recently I have been experiencing an intermittent sharp stabbing pain on my upper left chest area near the heart. This can occur during the palps, but not usually.  At other times, I get a pain under my breast or over to the right side.  That pain is more of a gnawing, hard to describe pain. These pain don't last long, maybe only a few seconds to a minute.  About a year ago, I had a stress echo done that was normal.  I spent last night in the emergency room.  EKG, cardiac enzymes and chest x-ray appeared fine and "see my family doctor."  I am under some stress (husband works out of town) and the palps cause me anxiety. I think I'm going to keel over on my 5-year-old son so I constantly worry about that.  When I get the sharp stab, I rub the area and it seems sore.  I have been doing a lot of heaving lifting and manual labor and thought maybe I injured my chest muscles or something.  Does anyone have a clue or suggestion for me.  I am going to go crazy.      
I understand your concern, with all your normal results it is probably not your  heart. For me , when I have palpitations frequently by the end of the day I am having chest pain, and every other heart symptom you can imagine.  The mind is a very powerful thing.  How long has it been since you saw a cardiologist?
Thanks for the thoughts.  It's been almost a year since I last saw a cardiologist, but was in E.R. last night with the normal EKG, etc.  
hi, I also get what you described as this "deep gnawing pain". if your heart tests have been normal it is very possible that constant tension (worry) is expressing itself through the muscles in your chest & ribs.  

this is also called myofascial pain and it mimics every major scary disease there is.  the chest pains it produces are the same as the pain felt in lung cancer or heart attack but are 100% COMPLETELY BENIGN.  

check out this link that explains the pain and its referral patterns.  I have this too, it is extremely common... yet mostly unknown and/or misunderstood >>> http://www.triggerpointbook.com/angina.htm
You could be having what is called splenic flexure syndrome that causes pains like that and makes people think they are having heart attacks.  Good you were checked out.  I would follow up like they said with the family doctor.  My experience at my doctors office where I work, when its the heart flaring up usually patients say its so deep and unusual like none they have had before and is continous, may let up at times but never goes completely away..some have even gone 2 or 3 days like that!!  Any pain in chest area should be checked on though for its better to be safe than sorry.
My husband came to office saying both arms felt like they were going to fall off they were so bad, did not complain of his chest, and always ran a low bp.
One woman was complaining of severe mid back pain...was a heart attack in progress.
When in doubt, check it out.
the intercostal muscles the criss cross the rib area of the torso when pulled or even with slight muscle tear will cuz a sharp digging pain that will cause you to even bend over in reaction to it......

Check with your doctor to be sure but that those muscle spasmes or pulls are often confused with the heart.
what you had is exactly what i had months ago...It was called costrochondritis
an inflamation (inflammation) of the ribcage. They gave me 600mg of motrin for it.
But i still have the everyday constant palps. was hoping its due to menopause.