Heart Disease Expert Forum
Shocking the HeartI

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Shocking the HeartI

I have heart fiberation . Request imformation on procedure of Heart Shocking
Dear cutchey,
Electrical cardioversion is a method used to change the heart  rhythm from fibrillation to sinus (normal) rhythm).  It is commonly used for persons in atrial fibrillation and involves placing electrodes on the chest and back and then passing a direct current electrical charge through the patches while the patient is asleep.  The electrical charge may be monophasic or biphasic.  It is usually successful but sometimes the patient goes right back into atrial fibrillation.  It is a low risk procedure but care must be taken to make sure the patient is anticoagulated beforehand to reduce the risk of stroke.
Are you talking about Atrial Fibrillation? I recently had Afib and had a cardioversion(shocked).  The cardioversion is usually done as an outpatient procedure and all things considered, it's not too bad.  One of the problems,with this condition is that clots can form in the upper chamber and then when you get shocked they get released and you have a stroke.  So prior to the cardioversion they do a TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram)which is when they stick a transducer down your throat and look at the chambers in your heart and look for clots.
If no clots, then they sedate you and apply the paddles and shock your heart into a normal sinus rhythym. You might be a little sore from the paddles for a day (not sure because I have an internal cardiodefibrillator and they used that for the shock)but otherwise you will feel much better afterward.  The shortness of breat and fatigue from Afib will be gone.  Afterward you get to take blood thinners for a month for stroke prevention.  

The only problem with Afib is that it has a tendency to come back, so your EP may look into an ablation procedure to eliminate the short circuit that is causing you to go into the abnormal rhythm.  Good luck and get it done.  You'll feel better.
Dont worry about about cardioversion. I had before and
A related discussion, Shock the heart during ablation was started.