Heart Disease Community
Short PR interval

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Short PR interval

Hi, I had an ECG today. My results came back with "sinus rhythm and short PR interval". My doctor is sending me to a cardiologist for further tests. I am really concerned! I am 52 years old, 135 lbs, 5'8", nonsmoking and I exercise 4 to 5 days a week. My PR is 105 ms and the doctor did not see a delta wave on ECG. Should I be concerned? Any dangers signs to be aware of? Can I still exercise? Can this be corrected? Can ECG be incorrect?

Thank you,
Ria
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, PR interval represents the time that it takes for the electrical impulse generated in the sinus node to travel through the atria and across the AV node to the ventricles. The normal PR interval is 0.12 to 0.20 seconds or 120 to 200 milliseconds (ms). A short PR interval means that the conduction time from the atria to the ventricles is reduced. This can sometimes occur due to rhythm disorders like Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome. But according to studies done endocrine and autonomic nervous system factors play a role in the genesis of short P-R interval. If you are asymptomatic now and if there are no other abnormalities on the ECG your doctor may probably ask for tests to rule out thyroid disorders and diabetes. You can start your exercises after your consult and tests. Good luck with your consult.