Heart Disease Expert Forum
Short of breath after double by-pass

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Short of breath after double by-pass

Had a double by-pass 5 weeks ago and recovered from the operation really well even though I have had Pulmonary Fibrosis for 3 years.  However, since I have been home my breathlessness has got worse and I don't think it is my lungs (saw my Lung Consultant in September who advised me that things had stabilized and he didn't want to see me for another year).  I was taking Ivabradine before my operation and am still taking this post-op.  Reading the literature on the drug I understand it is for angina but causes shortness of breath and dizziness.  Has anyone else had this problem?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
If your symptoms are worsening, it would be best to see both your cardiologist and your pulmonologist, even if neither one was planning to see you in the near future. At the very least, you should have a chest xray and maybe an echocardiogram. You may just be deconditioned from the surgery -- if you didn't do cardiac rehab after you left the hospital, you should have your surgeon or cardiologist write you a prescription for this.