Heart Disease Community
Short of breath after meals any idea why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

The past year i get short of breath after eating my meals. I struggle to breath correctly and i also have bloating with some gas. I wanted to know from any person from this forum who has a known heart problem or suffers from the same symptoms *** i do what might be a cause. If anyone has an idea of why im getting shortness of breath after meals and can share there knowledge i would really be grateful for your suggestions and information. Iam pushing for further testing but when i ask for some my doctor tells me he doesnt feel there is a relationship between sob after meals and heart disease. i would like to know from anyone who knows of a particular heart diease that could be causing my symptoms. Thank you in advance for any info you might provide. i do have a little leak in my mitral and trycuspid valve, but doc feels thats normal and not the cause.
    Yes there is a possible relationship, my first heart attack was misdiagnosed as stomach. However, before you start to believe you have heart disease, let me explain a few things. Symptoms from heart disease are all based on how hard the heart is working. Sitting in a chair, you are not likely to get angina unless the blockages are very severe. However, walking or running will bring on the symptoms, as will cold air. My symptoms after eating were basically a larger version of the symptoms I had while walking on a flat. If I walked up hill, the symptoms matched those when I had eaten. I wasn't just short of breath, I had chest pains, nausea, sweating and throat discomfort.
After eating I always remember thinking, ok there's no pain, the problem is gone. Then about 10-15 mins later, BANG, the symptoms hit me like a speeding car. I was diagnosed as having a bad stomach, but how that explains pains while walking I will never know. Maybe it was because my ECG looked fine. I also had a stress test which caused lots of pain, but nothing showed on the monitors so they kept me going until the end of the test.  A year after the false diagnosis, I had a heart attack.
So, how does eating affect the heart? well the bottom line is that the heart has to work harder to digest your food. A large volume of blood is redirected to the digestive system so it can do its work. Any Doctor knows this.
It's a fact that many heart problems years ago were misdiagnosed as stomach issues, and I bet many still are today.
If you have never had any heart issue, then the SOB after eating I think can be more related to insulin issues than to heart issues.

Jesus
Having to live with this pain is becoming almost impossible to do so. Sob after meals is the worst feeling. I want to know from more people if they also experienced sob after meals, and what was there medical cause for sob.
I have angina in very cold weather and after eating a meal. If I eat a meal and walk normal or fast or bend over,lift, I will get angina,with pain in chest, dizzness until I think I will passout. I look for a place to lay down or set. After it passes I would have to walk very slow with very small baby steps.
Try to keep it from coming back on me. I have had many tests and 7 small stents on outside of heart that hasn't help. With 4 catherizations, that the surgeon hit a nerve in leg with netile that numb my leg. I m now lending towards could it be instestinal angina. I have had two hernia surgery in abdomen had hurts me a lot with any motions. Could there be a blockage in stomach or instestion arties. And what test will show this.... Please help with this problem anyone, thanks.
I think you will need a stress echo to establish if it's the heart or not.
i had a stress echo that showed nothing, all was normal, yet still have short of breath. im scheduled for a endoscopy and it scares me allot because they put you out.
Here in the UK you are awake no matter which end it goes in. You might receive a local anaesthetic if it is going into the rear end. If swallowing it, you just get a numbing spray for the throat.
ive had endoscopy plus colonoscopy and all i had was a mild sedative i was awake for both procedures here in u.k :-(
For over a year now, when walking fast, bending over, or sometimes just after eating, I get a pain that feels like a kick in the chest, mostly on the right side, but sometimes more centered or on the left, but what is alarming is a shortness of breath that makes me feel like I am about to pass out. I have to lie down and wait for it to go away, then I am fine. I've had EKGs and they have been normal. cardiac enzymes have been normal, but these episodes are not, and they are quite frightening, I swear I feel like one of these times I may just fade out...