Shortness of breath after climbing stairs
I have MVP, and almost every time I walk up the stairs at home I'll get shortnes of breath with a racing heart. Sometimes I'm slightly light headed too. If you also have MVP, do you feel the same way climbing stairs?
I don't believe shortness of breath is a symptom of MVP (which is a fairly common and benign condition). I have MVR and no problem with SOB.  You are probably just out of shape and need to exercise more... but first get checked out by a cardiologist and make sure it's OK for you to start a regular exercise program.
Out of shape? I'm 36 years old, scored a 236 out of 300 points on my (APFT)Army Physical Fitness Test a few months ago, ridden over 2500 miles (came in first against 60 other riders who where on less than 20lb road bikes) in just over 5 months on my (32lb) mountain bike.

I'm guessing my shortness of breath may be related to my asthma.
Neil,

I have asthma too and although I don't have MVP, I suspect that I have dysautonomia.  MVP and dysautonomia go hand in hand.
I can feel great one day and feel like complete **** for no apparent reason the next.  MVP/Dysautonomia can cause a whole host of strange symptoms including shortness of breath.

I'm 32 and was in good shape until my symptoms got worse this year.  I had to cut way back on exercising.  It's like a vicious cycle....I don't tolerate exercise well so I got out of shape and I feel worse because I can't exercise.  I also get out of breath really easily.

There is alot of info out there on the subject.  I bought a book on Amazon titled, "The Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome/Dysautonomia Survival Guide."  It really is a great resource and I encourage you to check it out.  I have since learned that MVP is just one of many markers for dysautonomia.  So you don't need to have one to have the other.  
Getting short of breath with any kind of activity can be very frustrating.  I have been told that I need to strenghen my heart by walking or riding a stationary bike.  Yet I feel like I will never be completely SOB free since it goes hand in hand with any heart condition. good luck
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, it sometimes is frustrating. I'm an active person, and sometimes my SOB limits how hard I can push myself.