Heart Disease Expert Forum
Should I be in a Research Study?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Should I be in a Research Study?

I have written before about having chronic palpitations and depression.  I have made an appointment with my doctor for November 12th to get a home heart monitor and other possible tests. I was called to participate in a Research study for Cholesterol.  The first appointment is September 27th....before I have a get a home heart monitor to see if my pappitations are possibly dangerous.  I get paid for this study $50.00 per appointment.  It is an injection of additional Cholesterol medication to the Pravastatin 40 mg I am taking now.  I could get a plazebo or the real thing.  So my question is..... Should I participate in this study even though I am not sure my palpitations have developed in something more serious? I do need the money and I am already on Pravastatin 40mg. I was hoping I would get an appointment with my doctor right away but couldn't.  Thanks for reading.
Hi MeedaReeda,

I don't think participating in this research study should effect your palpitations.  That being said, I'm not sure if they are giving you an experimental medication or one that is already on the market.  Experimental medications can cause new and unknown side effects.  You may want to wait until you have sorted out all the other issues you are currently dealing with, particularly if you find that you are sensitive to side effects of medications.  That way you are not complicating the picture with additional symptoms.

Hope this helps!
CCFHeartMD20
i know this is for the doctor but i thought i would reply as i just went for a study. For the study i did, they made me go for ECG and blood work which came back fine. I had a heart monitor and it showed something so i was unable to do the study. I guess it depends on the study and drug but the place i went said for all studies you must be healthy, unless it is for a certain condition. I would find out what test they need to do to see if you qualify.
Thanks Mandy.  I appreciate your answer and it helps a lot.  They will take blood and probably do other tests before I get the Cholesterol drug injection and if I wasn't elgible they would let me go.  Thanks.  I won't worry so much now.  I had delt with these people before and was very satisfied with them and they advertise for people for all types of studies.  Thanks for writing.  MeedaReeda
I love this website!  Patients and Doctors seem to really care about the every day problems of us people that cannot always go running to the doctor but yet we worry and don't know where to turn.  Now we do and I will recommend this website to everyone.  Thank you all for a job well done. MeedaReeda
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom.  I will take this to heart and will use this information wisely.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.  Thank you for your concern.