Heart Disease Community
Should I be worried about PVC, skipped heart beats & getting more f...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Should I be worried about PVC, skipped heart beats & getting more frequent?

HI ALL, I came across this website whilst trying to research into pvc.s and was hoping for some advice and reassurance that may be helpful for a new fellow sufferer.

I am 33 and I have been suffering from skipped beats, PVC's (or whatever you wish to call them) for about 4 weeks now.  

Initially I put them down to coming off Citalopram (for Depression, which I weaned off very slowly so not to experience side effects), however they seem to be contiuning and happen more frequently.  

Sometimes I don;t feel anything for a few hours or so, but then again, I can also have over 200 episodes (in a day)that I am aware of, where my heart flips and thuds, occasionally to the extent that I have 3/4 in a row (up to 7/8 a minute), which makes me feel short of breath, dizzy and the sense of "impending doom".

Initially, I was quite laid back about this, but the longer it goes on, the more severe it is becoming and now I have started to feel more dizziness. I have also fainted a couple of times in the past week, when I have had multiple pvc's in a row. Last week I visited my doctor, who seemed a little concerned, especially as my blood pressure has shot up from normal to 155/105mmhg, average resting pulse is 120bpm. She ordered blood tests, ecg, and chest x-ray (ecg showed up a few ectopics and sinus tachy), but I am waiting on the other results (which I had done 3 days ago).  She also mentioned she wanted to refer me to a cardiologist as a precaution.

I don't smoke, drink alcohol, wouldn't consider myself as stressed and don't drink caffieine, which are common triggers for this type of problem (so I have read)

I would be grateful for any help on how to deal with this.  Advice gratefully received.
In my opinion :The best way to deal whit it just ignore it. Live a happy life. It won’t kill you but if you worry your BP will go up and that can harm you. You are very young. Force yourself to take it easy. Meditation, being busy with things you like, walk in nature, LOVE can help!
And do not count them!! That is the most awful thing many “sufferers” do.:) For me who has thousands a day and totally ignore them that is laughable. Life is short; I prefer doing what makes me happy.
I recommend that to the “poor sufferers”, but of course many  don’t like what I am saying they need to tell  how many they had today etc etc…and cry about it :)if they feel soo ,  you also can get lots of support here:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Heart-Rhythm/show/92

Good luck!

I agree that it wont kill me and like I said I have been laid back about everything, just looking for advice and am grateful for anyone suggestions.

I dont know exactly how many pvc's I have, all I know is that it happens regularly and can be very frequent, if I did count them all, I wouldn't get anything done..lol...but I understand what you are saying.  

I am certainly living life to the full and trying to keep things stress free and happy-go-lucky!
Thanks for the advice
These types of arrhythmias are REAL and can be quite scary.  I have heart disease (CAD & PAD), have had heart attacks, suffer with vasospasms and have had a problem with SVTs in the past. They do "take your breath" away and scare you. The can make you dizzy. Make sure you have had all the follow up tests run before "ignoring" this. I was put on Amiodarone for the SVTs when they became severe. But after 9 months I stopped taking the drug.  After all the really bad side effects I read about and having to be monitored while on this drug, I decided to quit taking it. It did work, and fortunately the SVT epsiodes have not returned. (I stopped taking it 4 years ago now). You should follow up with a cardiologist and they might want you to wear an event monitor to record the episodes.  But above all, you will see how many people suffer with this and it turns out to be benign.  Make sure in your case it is.  There is a forum here for arrhymthias if you want to look through those posts you will see you are in good company.  Take care, Ally
Thankyou ChatterAlly, much reassuring. Will keep people posted on news
I have PVC's also and they do worry me from time to time because I get short of breath and dizzy and it kind of feels like a butterfly in your chest - and it is scary.  Went to a cardiologist...she says nothing to worry about that when I have these episodes to take several deep breaths.  Lots of people have them some feel them others don't.  They are harmless and my heart was fine.  I had the stress test and wore the heart monitor and all the test - just PVC's.  It's not that your heart skips a beat it's that you hearts beats a beat faster and then it does it's thing to get back on track.  I don't like it ... but I don't want to take meds either so I take deep breaths and try not to stress about it because the more you stress the more often it will happen.  Take care of you....I hope this helps! AND if you are really worried go see a cardiologist just to MAKE SURE that's all it is.
I  am 33 and ended up in the ER yesterday with PVC.  I was scared and was told it was nothing to worry about.  They told me toile sure I cut down on caffeine, alcohol etc.  otherwise benign.  It's very annoying and bothersome. Just when they seem to be hiking away I will have a few episodes in a row.  
I have been having skipped hear beats for the past one year. I was terrified with the dizziness and fluttering in my heart. they used to stay for 1-2 hours and go away. all  my tests came normal. now a days they come once every week and stay half a day or so. I am really worried. I do have gas, acidity, weight problem and anxiety disorder(silly long list) and I have been told by the doc that they also can be the reason but this knowledge of arrythmia etc; are not letting me live a peaceful life. any body help me with an answer