Heart Disease Expert Forum
Should I worry?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Should I worry?

I am a 46 yo female.  I am about 35 pounds heavier than I should be, but I have been working on this by exercising regularly and following a low fat diet. I do not smoke.  My only risk factor for cardiac disease is a father who had MI at age 54.  6 weeks ago I suddenly began to feel "skipped beats" quite frequently.  I also noted over the next few days that I was unable to complete my usual exercise routine at the Y.  In the following days, I experienced fatigue, dyspneic and chest discomfort radiating to my neck and left arm.  I saw a PA at the family practitioner's office who confirmed a new murmur, echo showed mild MR, and holter (which malfunctioned only giving 10 hours of data) showed occasional PACs and PVCs.  Over the last 6 weeks, I continue to have these symptoms with an increase in the skipped beats (sometimes 10/min).  With these I feel really awful.  I might also mention that the symptoms really appear with exercise (walking, cleaning house, laundry, gardening, periods of increased stress, etc.--sometimes resting for a while will make them go away).

I saw the cardiologist yesterday who explained that the murmur was related to the MR--everything else on the echo o.k. and he wants to follow it yearly with an echo. Even though I expressed concern about the skipped beats, he really didn't think them anything to worry about.  I am scheduled for adenosine thallium next week.  My question--do people just suddenly start having these arrhythmis without any reason?  If the thallium turns out o.k.--will I have to just learn to live with the arrhythmias?  This whole thing is such a sudden change and is really interfering with my quality of life.

Thanks for any help you can give.