Heart Disease Expert Forum
Silly Rumor: Hot Water and Heart Attacks
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Silly Rumor: Hot Water and Heart Attacks

There's a silly chain email going around that claims drinking cold water, especially after meals, will increase one's chance of a heart attack (and in fact, developing cancer). The email postures drinking hot water in the form of tea as a healthy alternative, claiming it dilutes the oils in food rather than congeals it. I think this is a bogus and foolish as it gets, but several of my friends and family believe it's true. I'm hoping a cardiologist can set the record straight. Thanks.
Related Discussions
242509_tn?1196926198
There is as far as I know no connection between drinking cold drinks or water and heart attacks.  After a meal blood flow is increased into the gut and intestines which may place increased strain on an already disease heart.  This is why a small percentage of patients can have anginal attacks following meals especially large meals.  But the pathophysiology of a heart attack is quite different from that of angina, as it includes not stable plaques but rupture atherosclerotic plaques.
3 Comments
Blank
16292_tn?1189759421
Funny, I just got that exact same email two days ago.  Did you check it out on urban legends?
Blank
Yes. There's a similar posting on Snopes, but it only concerns cancer. Snopes considers it false. However, my friends think Snopes is wrong. Hopefully, they'll will understand it better when a physician explains why this is untrue.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/coldwater.asp
Blank
A related discussion, medicines and heartrate was started.
Blank
670314_tn?1247879373
A related discussion, Gastric/Heart connection was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank