Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sinus Node Modification

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sinus Node Modification

I am undergoing sinus node modification in two weeks due to inapproative sinus tachycardia . My resting heart rate is around 120-130 and just getting up to walk a few feet it jumps up to 200 and over . I have tried several med - beta blockers - made my raynaud's worse and - calium blockers ,and lanoxin which none of them helped at all . Now I am on florinef and high salt diet and it still is not helping . I should mention that my IST is caused due to lupus (SLE) . Well now my question is how succesful is the sinus node modificaion procedure . From what I understand it is pretty new and still has a high chance of pacemaker . Well now my  cardio has called and decided to just go ahead and put in a pacemaker since he thinks after the surgury lupus will attack it again and the same problem will happen . Should I ask to atleast try the procedure or just go along with the pacemaker ( also I due very poorly in surguries -always causes my lupus to flare - and always have a long recovery -so don't need any unneccary stuff done to me ) Also what type of packemaker would I have since they will take my sinus node out and how will it be inserted . I am okay about having pacemaker , anything to stop the passing out and chest pains and a nause this has caused me .\

Thanks in advance I just love this site and apprciate all the hard work that going into it .I guess I should tell you my age 25 -125lbs and 5"11" , not in good health due to SLE .
The sinus node modification is not an easy procedure to do (for the doctor). It is associated with only so-so success rates in curing the IST, but is more likely to at least decrease the rate of the IST somewhat. A major risk of the procedure is the subsequent need for a pacemaker;