Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sinus tachycardia queries. Very worried

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sinus tachycardia queries. Very worried

Hello all, I had a problem a few weeks ago where I was woken up by a fast heartbeat (about 120) and a bit of a heavy left arm. It went after about 10 minutes and went back to normal. This happened three nights in a row (at exactly 5am) and I went to the A & E department at the hospital. They took an ECG, bloods, urine sample and x-ray and sent me home saying I was fine but it was sinus tachycardia (spelling correct). I am going for a 24 hours heart monitor next week but was wondering if you could clear a few things up for me. I am 27, normal heartbeat 70ish, very fit.

1. Is this something that can be fatal? I am worried that a heart only has a finite amount of beats so the more you use the less time you have?

2. If I drink (three - four pints) then it seems my heart will beat about 110 all night which is really scaring me. Could this be something to do with an alcohol resistance? I have been drinking for 10 years or so (I am 27). I am not of Asian origin.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received as my nerves are a jangling! (Like those festive jingle bells).

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the post.

Its pretty unlikely that this is a serious arrythmia. The monitor should provide you a better picture of whats going on.  

I wouldnt use the term alcohol resistance. However, 3-4 pints a night are in the excessive range. Alcohol itself, in excess can cause heart damage and other cardiovascular conditions such as hypertension, not to mention all of the other negative effects on the body.  I know your young, bout you should look into decreasing the amount of alcohol you are consuming.  The heart rate is most likely related to the effects of alcohol on the body.

good luck

For me alcohol is a big trigger of tachycardia and PVCs, anything more than 2 beers or a glass of wine , i would try to avoid. I dont drink alcohol anymore and feel much better because of it. Alcohol in the long run is very toxic to the heart muscle , even though some studies have shown that alcohol in moderation might help with CAD, I personally believe it is best avoided especially in persons with arrhythmias and rapid heartbeats.

The heart is a tough organ I had sinus tachycardia most of life , though controlled from my late teens with beta blockers, i don't think rates occasionally of 110 to 120 will damage your heart if its otherwise healthy, if your heart beat over 110 to 120 constantly for many months to years then from what I gather it could weaken the heart muscle but this would have occur incessantly.
thanks for the comments tickertock :)

I think you are right about the alcohol, what I dont do is drink much water (or sometimes even eat) so I think that cannot be helping either.
Happy xmas
Your heart rate may be going up if you suffer from sleep apnea. But in any case a bout of sinus tach at 120 will not kill you or cause long term affects unless it is sustained and lasts for years and sometimes decades. Also a lot of people have a very high heart rate 100-110 and live long normal lives.

Please note I am not a doctor.
I have been recently diagnosed with Mitral Regurgitation and I have also found lately that I can't drink either. It makes me feel just awful if I have more than one or two...

My doc said I have that Sinus tachycardia and he said not to worry. I am really not sure but I remember him saying something about the rythems being ok and that is what he was looking for...someone please correct me if I am wrong because as I am just recently learning about this condition my head was filled with SO much info!
have the same problem you do with alcohol.  When I drink too much at one time my heart rate will be be faster and the heartbeat much more pronounced.  I'm 35 now so I'm past the binging phase of my life but every now and then even two glasses of wine will bring it on.
A related discussion, rapid heart rate after drinking a little bit of alcohol was started.