Heart Disease Expert Forum
Slightly slow pulse, sluggish, hands cold, breathless

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have been having a problem that I hope you can help me with.  I'm a 35 white male with a 5 year history of PVC's (though they are way fewer than they used to be, not sure why but i'll take it)

I am roughly still 100 pounds over weight, I have lost over 30 pounds so far.  My diet is ultra-healthy and I exercise (cardio and weights) 4 or 5 days per week.  I actually have a long history of working out, but never paid mind to my diet until this year.

My symptoms have been... a slightly slow pulse (50-55 at rest),  cold hands,  slow thinking, trouble thinking, feeling out of it (etc),  as well as this odd breathless feeling that I get on and off...at rest or when active, but not worse when active...it's just on it's own.

I have never had any of these symptoms independent of the others on the list.  THey are all or nothing.  Just to be sure I wasn't over training, I rested completely like a total couch potato for 2 weeks with no change, in fact, maybe a little worse.   When I work out, my pulse still rises normally as best as I can tell and I don't feel any chest pain.   Actually, it seems more likely that PVC's want to happen when my pulse is slower than faster.... I have noticed since this stuff all started that when I do get a random PVC it seems to hit MUCH harder than normal..feels more like a literal kick than just a quick flutter.

In the past (couple years ago) my TSH was measured at 7.6, but it returned to normal without treatment or explanation the next month.  I haven't gone to my doctor for this yet, BUT,  I am wanting to ask you , assuming that I go get the standard EKG / Chest Xray / CBC / CMP / thyroid tests done and these are all normal,   what would you think at that point?    Would there be something to do with my heart or a metabolic investigation of some sort to look into if the standard tests are normal?    By the way, I have already had a stress echo done a few years ago (due to the PVC history) and it was super-normal
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Slow heart rate is normal in someone who exercises. And PVCs are more likely to happen when your heart rate is slow, because there is more time between normal beats for premature beats to come (as opposed to a faster heart rate, like when you exercise, when there is less time between normal beats and therefore less opportunity for premature beats). I wouldn't worry about either of those symptoms.

As a whole, your symptoms do sound like they could be related to an underactive thyroid, so it would be worthwhile to have the TSH rechecked, especially if it has been abnormal before. Doubt the symptoms are related to the dental work, but it is possible to get a subacute bacterial infection after dental work, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have blood cultures checked, and if positive, then an echocardiogram.
PS ---  Only one thing I forgot to mention,  I had an infected tooth extracted a week or 2 before I started feeling this way.....coincidence I thought!