Heart Disease Community
Slow heart bpm and painful in wrists and neck.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Now, I know a lot of this will sound stupid and some of the answers are right in front of my eyes. However there are a few things I've noticed over the past few years that are starting to concern me with my heart and pulse. Sometimes my heart bpm will drop to a slow and painful rhythm that will often have quick flutters usually when I exhale my breath. I also can sometimes feel this pain on the sides of my neck and in my wrists.

-I'm 22
-I smoke (since the age of 13)
-I drink coffee once in a while but not as much as I used to.
-I was badly into illegal drugs recently such as cocaine and that's when I noticed this start to really act up.
-I drink maybe once every weekend
-I have really bad anxiety
-I have really bad insomnia

Now, I know you're probably thinking, "Well quit smoking, duh." I'm working on it. I've also ended my use of cocaine and have been clean off of it for about a month now. I slowed down on the amounts I caffeine I take in as well as before I was one of those guys who couldn't make it through a day without it. I still get bad anxiety at times and still have lots of trouble with getting sleep.

Now I apologize if this post is kinda clumsy and all over the place, I'm new here and I haven't slept in a long time so I feel like I'm just typing in circles and not getting to my point.

However what I really really want to know is if the slowed down painful heart rate and pain in the wrists and neck is normal or if it could be something pretty bad? I've noticed it since I was maybe 17 but just last year when I got really bad into cocaine it seemed to have triggered it to be much more worse. It actually concerns me at times.

An answer to anything would be very much appreciated, I know there are many contributing factors as to why this is happening but I'm just so unsure.
Hi, and welcome to Medhelp. Good for you for quitting the drugs! That's wonderful.
The only thing I can recommend is seeing your Dr to have him/her check your blood pressure and pulse. Or, do you know what it is? Normal resting heart beat is between 60 and 100. Athletes can lower numbers and that's normal.
Anxiety can cause those flutters but, so can many other things. My daughter and nephew both have mitral valve prolapse and they have these symptoms. Any kind of stimulant can make it worse. Caffeine and of course cocaine are two big ones.
Would it be possible to see a Dr and be checked out? If so, be honest with them and let them know about your past drug use.    
Thank you for your reply remar and also thank you again, it isn't easy but I'm doing pretty good. :D

It's been some time since I last seen a doctor so I think I am indeed due for a visit. It bothers me what this could possibly be but I'm hoping it's something that isn't so bad.

Thank you for your time.