Heart Disease Expert Forum
Slowed heart rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Slowed heart rate
About 3 months ago my sugar numbers were elevated so my doctor put me on metforim.  Now, I am 52 years old and my ENTIRE life my resting pulse has been 61 - 63 bpm.  Within a day or so of the metforim, I noticed my resting pulse was down to 57 bpm.  I stopped the metforim (my numbers are perfect and I lost 16 pounds) about a week ago but when I went to the doctor yesterday, my pulse was 57 bpm.  Back in the spring, the day I started using the medicine I also started walking 30-35 minutes a day, everyday of the week.  My doctor didn't really seem concerned, he did ask me if I felt lightheaded or faint or anything.  I said no.  So, my overall question is, does this seem to be something to be concerned with?, and could it be from exercising, even though I am not training for a run or anything, and/or could it still be from the metforim, even though it has been a week?  Thanks so much.  
Having a low resting pulse is not anything to be concerned about unless they are accompanied by symptoms such as fatigue, light-headedness, dizziness, or fainting. It is unlikely that the Metformin has anything to do with the change in your pulse. Medications known to slow the heart rate include (but not limited to) beta blockers and calcium channel blockers (most common). I would continue exercising and your weight loss as you have. Strict glucose control and weight loss are key!