Small Artery Bypass
Hi, my father (64) recently had a heart attack, and the cath was able to unblock a couple of the arteries.  However, the film still shows three blocked arteries...  The surgeon told us that one of the blocked arteries is big enough for him to bypass, but doesn't want to risk open heart surgery to only bypass one of the arteries, so he suggested angioplasty.  The film shows the two other arteries are very small (he told us from my fathers type 2 diabetes), and would not be able to bypass these blocked arteries or perform an angioplasty.  Basically he told us there is not much we can do for the two other blocked arteries except diet and medical maintenance.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there that specializes with small arteries, and would be able to perform a bypass?  Or have any information that may help us...  

Thanks,
aprunes
I had a silent heart attack about 5 years ago.  I had 3 blocked coronary arteries, etc.  The 98% blocked RCA was stented to immediately supply blood to a deficit area that lacked blood/oxygen.  The LAD wwas completely blocked and had developed a natural bypass (collateral vessels), and the ICX is/was 72% blocked.  A bypass was not advised due to the low EF (29-12%).

I have been on medication since chf and my EF is normal and the left ventricle has returned to normal size.  Medication can open vessels enough to sufficiently supply of blood/oxygen.   There is a possibility that the stent procedure is unnecessary and medication can be adequate.  Diabetes does complicate the issue, and that may enter into any decision for appropriate treatment.

If your father has small ateries and after 64 years, the heart may have compensated with the development of other vessels (angiogenesis).  If the surgeon doesn't want the risk of a bypass, indicates the condition may be successfully treated with alternate therapy (if it was a matter of life or the high risk death, an operation would be done).

You may want to get a second opinion from a non-interventional cardiologist.  Statistics show that too many unnecessary angioplasty and stents are occurring.  Your father is not that old and should have many good years left.