Small Artery disease
hbh
Am a 64 yr old white female with heart disease in family (Don't smoke, don't drink, bu am overweight, do not have diabetis).  One month ago had an MI.  Two arteries blocked, one 90% which was stented, one 70% which was not. Was told 70% could be controled with rx's  On plavax, baby asperin, Diovan and Metpropolol ex.  Feel no particular pain at this point, but also feel I am walking around with a time bomb.  Artery in question is very small located on the back of my heart.  What is your best advise vis a vis treatment.  What is typical SOP in cases of this nature?
I've had eight stents, my last one in January 2008, and was told I have several blockages in small arteries that cannot be accessed.  The fact that I exercise regularly has allowed small arteries in the neighborhood of the blockages to enlarge and supply enough blood to prevent heart damage.  One of the small blockages completely closed two weeks ago and I experienced some heart pain, but no heart attack.  I'm not a medical professional but do have lots of first hand experience with heart disease, and I urge you to lose weight, keep your cholesterol levels down, and above all, exercise aerobically every day if possible.  I understand completely your feeling of walking around with a time bomb.  Think of exercise being a force that turns back the hands of the clock.  Good luck to you.
Exercise is the answer.  Walk every day for 30 minutes. It will help you lose weight and it will help your heart grow collateral arteries to bypass those that are blocked.  I've had 6 stents and double bypass one year ago and I know how you feel! I also have an artery that is almost completely blocked on the back of my heart and its too small to stent. When I was first diagnosed (48 yrs old) I felt like it was a death sentence.  I've come to learn over the last three years that the medicine (and you're on all the right stuff it sounds like) isn't the only answer.  You have to take control of your health - get out and walk every day and you'll feel stronger and more positive knowing that what you are doing is helping your heart to heal.  Also, look into cardiac rehab group at your local hospital...