Heart Disease Community
Smoking Weed

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Smoking Weed

I had emergency bypass surgery about 3 weeks ago.  I am back at home and had some weed left over from before I went to the ER that fatefull night. I have been smoking a little and am wondering just how bad this is for my condition. I know it cant be good, but is it as bad as smoking cigarettes and what about drinking a little. How much is too much.  I am only 46 and know my party lifestyle from the 80's and 90's is what landed me here. I know that I am going to have to quit it all if I expect to live much longer. It is very hard to just quit. I am embarassed to ask questions like this but feel alot of guys need to know the answer to these type questions. What about sex, how long before I can get it on again, like I have a list of women patiently waiting LOL. I have heard that I will feel much better physicaly in a few months once I recover from the surgery. I hope so, I was feeling really old before and thought it was normal for my age. I hope this does not launch me into a midlife crisis like the ones you hear about with guys acting like they are in their twenties again. Any input on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Bypass
Drop the weed, now.  It is not the same as cigarrettes, it is worse in most cases.  You dont know grow conditions etc of the weed. You know the government sprays paraquat on any field they can.  They are non filtered so you get the full force of the smoke into your lungs.  Someone once told me one joint was equivalent to five cigs.  Dont know the truth to that, but I would think it was correct.  It is not hard to quit if you actually try.  I do know the truth to that.  Drinking?  I did not have bypass, I had an ICD for CHF and dilated cardiomyopathy.  The doctor requested that I limit intake of alcohol, beer, hard cider, hard liquor to two drinks every few nights.  I bought a HUGE cup (lol, no I really didnt)  That hasnt been too hard either.  I am only 50 so I understand the whole concept of having a lot of life to live still.   Sex, hmmm....no one medically set limits and they did say go for it.  If it is awhile before your next checkup, call the office and ask.  I am willing to bet it is a common question and will not embarrass anyone.
Whats to be expected now with it being 14 wks since my fiance's bypass? Before his surgery we had a more than full sex life, now it's a miracle if we have any form of sex once every 2 wks. I could live with the fact if he wasnt able to do anything but the fact is, about a month ago he became a little more active he enjoys carpentry work. So he's been getting into that lately. He complains everyday about his chest being tight, legs hurting etc, we found out recently he has arthritis so they put him on meds for that. When I try to encourage sex its like the world is coming to an end, he's very verbal with letting me know he's not interested in sex anymore, he says its to painful however its not painful for him to construct some new project hes constantly working on, he will work several hrs on a project hammering, sawing you name it, he will get literally sick & exhausted from doing it comes home showers and off to bed for a few hrs but when it comes to giving me any attention hes not in the mood, its a hurt thing so he says. I have asked him several times to see a dr in regards to this as I feel he's depressed but he disagrees says he's fine & he doesnt want another pill. He's 51 I am 50 & as I said we had a very good sex life before surgery, how can I get him to see this is becoming a problem & it needs to be solved before it tears us apart, which is what I am afraid of, he has told me in the past if it ever came down to where he couldnt perform he would get whatever he needed so he could still have sex as it was important. So what's wrong here?? He says its not me, its him hes not interested in it anymore. Is this depression, does he need to seek professional help? Could you please give me some advice.
Thank You
yes he needs help i think you both need to go so he knows he has support if he needs it