Heart Disease Community
Smoking With A Heart Murmur

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Smoking With A Heart Murmur

I would like to know the risk factors of smoking when a person has a heart murmur.  I know that they should not smoke but what could happen if they decide to do so.
Well depends whot tipe of a heart murmurm and how severe is it. I have a heard murmurm caused by a VSD but its so small that id doesent have eny efect on my heart. I was also a smoker. I started smoking when i was 14 and it didnt cause andy problems but thats coz my VSD is so small that its bearly visible on the ultrasound. So i gues it wont make the murmurm worse but that doesent mean it wont harm you. It realy depends on whots causing the heart murmurm and how sewere is ur heart defect. If its severe than i defenetly wouldnt try smoking but if its small and hemodinamicly not important than it wont cause any problems with the murmurm. But it will give u a hear atack when ur gona be older. I stoped smokin before some time and now i reayly dont kno why i was smoking. Nothin good will come out of it exept maybe mental plesure or relaxation. Exept for that its only a waste of helth and money.
ooooooooh.  Shame on you, there are risk factors with smoking just being alive.  Read the side of the pack!  Put your hand out so I can smack it!  I know quitting is very very hard, but consider trying.  If it does not work until the umpteenth time you try to quit, it will still be worth it.  
i would think you would not want to take a chance with your heart and smoke,
i smoked for 10 years started having pac and stop cold turkey, have not smoked in 23 years , it causes lots of health problem, why take the chance.
I'm not aware of any specific negative effect smoking would have that is directly related to the heart murmur.  I would suspect that smoking should be avoided to minimize other heart-related problems that could arise from smoking and further contribute to the murmur.  From a cardiovascular standpoint, smoking is extremely high-risk, therefore anyone with any kind of heart issue would be strongly advised to stop right away.

I'm sure you've heard the lectures, so I'll spare you.  I quit five years ago myself, and feel much better for it, but I had to be ready...finding myself expecting a baby was my cold-turkey quit strategy lol