Heart Disease Expert Forum
Some confusion about arrythmia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Some confusion about arrythmia

I had a modified ablation of my sinus node.  In subsequent weeks I developed a junctional rhythm with a rate of about 30 and pauses of 5-7 seconds.  I had a pacemaker placed and was told I had sick sinus syndrome.  Now I take several meds. to control a wide complex tachycardia including amiodarone, coumadin, cardizem.

My first question is 1)  I know may people require pacemakers after ablation, but is everyone that has an ablation and gets a pacer diagnosed with SSS.  Is it normal for all people that are in that situation to have several other rhythm problems subsequently?  I guess I was just not aware that this would happen if I needed a pacer after ablation.

I'm also wondering if you know if amiodarone can cause peripheral neuropathy or hyperreflexia,  I was told by a neurologist that I have both just since I've been on the amiodarone.  He said amiodare normally causes depressed reflexes, not hyper.  Do you know anything about this?

I am having a very severe reaction to the sun.  I can't go out for 5 minutes without getting sunburned and that is with an spf of 50.  Is this common with amiodarone, and is it something I should tell my cardiologist.

Lastly, this is what is really confusing me.  I was told that I have wide complex tachycardia.  It has been said that this is a-fib with rapid ventricular response, then they said WPW. then reentrant tachy.  I was told the only way to get rid of this is with an ablation of my sinus node, but I would have to remain on coumadin.  Are all of these arrythmias treated that way.  Do they all represent the same thing, and if not which one does it actually sound like?

Sorry this is so convoluted, I have two small children knocking at my door as I'm asking these questions.  But thankyou so much.
Dear cn,

I think you have used up your share of rhythm problems!  I assume you had the sinus node modification for inappropriate sinus tachycardia.  This problem seems to have been cured but you are left on the other end of the spectrum with "doctor induced" sick sinus syndrome requiring a pacemaker.  Usually the goal of modification is not to go quite this far but sometimes it happens.  

Now you have another arrhythmia that sounds to be also coming from the upper chambers of the heart.  Usually these are amenable to ablation and since you already have a pacemaker the risks of ablation are relatively low.  The ablation is not of the sinus node but of the area causing the tachycardia.  This would probably be a good thing as it would hopefully get you off the medications. Amiodarone is well known to cause sun reactions but I have never heard of it causing hyperreflexia.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic I would recommend Dr. Saliba for a second opinion. You can make an appointment with him by calling the number below.
Sorry, I misspoke.  When I said they told me the only way to solve the problem was ablating my sinus node, I meant my AV node.  I am a 33yr. old female, slightly underweight.
I had an radiofrequency ablation for WWP.  It did not go well in that they damaged the good pathway.  I was wondering if this is what happened to you?  I am not familiar with SSS.