South Beach Diet
I posted about a week ago regarding my lousy Cholesterol numbers.  Someone advised I buy the book "The South Beach Heart Program" by Cardiologist, Dr. Arthur Agatston.  The Author of "The South Beach Diet".  What I read is very compelling to me.

My question is has anyone had any experience with "The South Beach Diet"?  If so, could you please comment on your opinion of the diet; results, etc.  My feeling is I will still have to go on a statin, but just curious about what other people think.

Thank you,

JohnDunn
Should go with weight watchers, it's a better plan to help reduce weight. Eating more veggies and fruit and possiblly ask your doctor about lipitor.
Thanks for the reponse.  Weight isn't my problem.  I run 5 miles 5x/wk and weights 3x/wk.  Dr. Afatston gets into real in depth about total blood chemistry and results.  Just wanted to see if anyone has been on it and had either good or bad results?

Thanks again,

JohnDunn
I plead guilty.  I recommended "The South Beach Heart Program."  It is a provocative book and certainly worthy of consideration.  My take on the South Beach Diet is two things.  It is a weight loss program that many people find effective--one of many diet programs that are effective.  The other and most important aspect of the South Beach diet is thatit is for weight and health maintenance.  It represents an eating lifestyle.  It seems very similar to other healthy eating strategies:  emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, complex carbohydrates as compared to simple carbs and sugars, fish, and reduced consumption of red meat and animal protein.  The latter is a tough one for me, but I am making progress.  It seems like a sensible change and there seems to be plenty of science to support this kind of eating.  Thank you for your observations.
I appreciate any comments.  I bought the book like I said and there are some very compelling and just common sense advise.

On another note, I googled "south beach heart prevention" and there was and interesting article in Newsweek called "The great diet war??".  Basically Ornish and Agatston square off.  Ornish interviewed Agatston [Feb. 17, 2007, Newsweek].  Interesting article.  The one thing that suprised me was Agatston admitted that he was on Lipitor and The South Beach Diet could only marginally reduce high LDL.  

Thanks,

JohnDunn
Thanks for the heads up on the Newsweek article.  Ornish and Agatston do not seem too far apart on their views.  I tend to lean more toward Agatston because I tend to be more pragmatic about these things.  We know from many studies that some can reduce LDL with diet and exercise, and others--perhaps because of genetics, cannot.   He understands people like me, because too many of us would not follow the perfect heart healthy diet.  My diet isn't perfect, but it is a whole lot better than what it was.  I do try to follow generally accepted practices about healthy eating and it seems to work for me.  Perfect?  Certainly not, but it is pretty good.  Most important to me, I am enjoying myself.  I believe that is part of Agatston's message.  
I've heard several doctors recommend this diet, or at least one like it, for the positive health benefits.  I've never really looked into it myself.