Heart Disease Expert Forum
Spastic coronary artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Spastic coronary artery

I have just now come from getting a heart catheterization test done. And was diagnosed with spastic coronary arteries. The Doc even gave me before and after photos of the arteries "normal" and after he gave me meds during the procedure. Wow!! The size in my arteries almost doubled. Have been put on meds and advised on lifestyle changes. Had already started half of what he suggested. ? Will I ever be able to get off these meds? And can weight loss and exercise get me off permanently?
Doug
Weight loss, exercise and tobacco cessation improve endothelial function and increase vagal tone.  Both of these will decrease the likelihood of recurrent spasm, but of course, this is not guaranteed.  I would not come off of these meds any time soon, but slow weaning could be taken into conisederation at some point once the symptoms complete resove and not recur for a significant amount of time.  
Good questions.  I too had an arterial spasm almost two years ago to the week in fact.  I had a cath that turned out to show perfectly healthy arteries and an Echo that showed perfect functioning.  My cardiologist figures that it's probably Printzmetal Angina, but her approach is to not test with the antogonist that causes the spasm.

Since my event, I lost over 20 pounds and am under the target weight threshold for my height/build/age/gender.  I take a calcium channel blocker and a baby aspirin.  I also take Omege 3 fish oil.  Frankly, I don't worry about when I can get off of a med that costs me $10 a month and has no negative side effects for me.

I look forward to the excellent feedback from the doc on the forum.  Good luck!
A related discussion, spastic coronary arteries was started.