Heart Disease Community
Sporadic sharp chest pains

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Sporadic sharp chest pains

For the past many months I have been feeling sudden sharp pain in my left side of the chest near where the heart is, and there already have been several occasional occurances already. It only lasts for several seconds, and every time when that happens, when I lift my left arm to stretch out, it feels like something there is stretching, and it goes away after a few seconds. My parents tell me it's just muscle tiredness, but I am slightly afraid it might be some heart related problem because it's always in the same area, and it's been occasionally happening for the past few months even without me exercising.
Hmm, well there is actually a misconception that heart issues occur on the left side of the chest, where people think the heart generally is. Really, heart pain is broad, you can't point directly to it, and it tends to spread across the chest. There is a valve, the esophageal sphincter, that lies on the left side, slightly below the nipple. This is where the esophagus opens up to meet the stomache. GERD, Gastroesophageal refux disease, type of pains are intially often mistaken for heart pains because of where the esaphageal sphincter lies. Acid from the stomache can come up, randomly, and irritate the sphincter causing pain. This is not to say this is for sure what you have. The only way to get a definitive answer is to go to your doctor, get a physical exam and vital signs, and possibly tests ordered to rule anything out. If you're trully concerned I suggest you go to your doctor. In the mean time you could try a brand such as Prilosec over the counter, however that can be pricy. You might try Tums to see if that makes the pain go away, but sometimes that doesn't work if your pain is intense. But if the pain continues, definitely go to your doctor. Since the pain comes on suddenly, it's probably not muscle tiredness as your parents say. So try these suggestions, see if they help, and keep in touch with your doctor. Good luck and best wishes!

Sara RN