Heart Disease Expert Forum
Statin medi cations and Q10

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Statin medi cations and Q10
My father has Ischemic Heart Disease and is on many different medications. I was recently made aware of Q10 and Statin medicines. My father takes Lovastatin, Plavix, Lopressor, Lasix, Zestril, and a few others and also Fish oil. I know he should consult his doctor before starting or stopping any medicines, I just wanted to get some opinions about stopping Lovastatin and taking Q10. My father has many leg cramps and foot arch cramps. What is your opinion of the Q10 ?  My Father also has PAD not to mention 4 back surgeries, open heart 5 by pass, 5.5 aortic anurysim. If you could give me any information about the Q10 I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You
Hey mestyk

It is hard to give you an accurate assessment of the situation over the internet without meeting your father and evaluating him in person, but I can give you some general advice.

Cramping is a known side effect of statins and Coenzyme Q 10(CoQ10) has been shown in small studies to help with this. However, that being said the evidence to support this practice is not very strong.
Leg cramps or foot cramps may also be due to peripheral arterial disease and this must be evaluated before statins are stopped.

In any case, you can discuss with your doctor about giving your father a trial of CoQ10. Generally doses are 300 mg once daily and it may or may not help the leg cramps. Clearly, statins are important for your father and if CoQ10 will help him take statins, it is certainly worth it.

Hope that helps.