Statin or Not to Statin
Okay, I'm an active 45 year old female, normal weight, eat well and exercise (I'm actually a Personal Trainer), but have a major family history of heart disease.  My sister had a triple bypass at the age of 33, an Aunt passed away at 45 and grandfather at 36 of a sudden cardiac event.  Anyway, my cardiologist wants to put me on a statin, Crestor, to lower my LDL.  My total cholesterol is 189, LDL is 118 and HDL is over 60.  The reason for the statin is I have a Lpa level of 69.  I really don't want to go on a statin if it's not necessary due to side effects.  Any opinions?  Is the Lpa really that much of a risk factor?  

You should try to have your LDL under 100 with 79 being better.  HDL over 60 is pretty good.  Crestor lowers LDL and raises HDL.  Some people do not need to take the full strength Statin and can take a small amount and still show benefits.  My dad takes only a chip of his Lipitor and his cholesterol stays down low.  A lot of doctors themselves are taking a small amount of a statin to prevent heart disease even if they have normal cholesterol levels.  
Read Arthur Agatston's book, "The South Beach Heart Program."  You will learn about aggressive prevention of heart disease.  After reading it, you will likely see the wisdom of statin therapy.  The benefits of statins far outweigh the risks--which are minimal.  
Thanks so much for your feedback!  Much appreciated! :-)
I am am on statians and have been for over a year mine all my levels was high her in the uk .it suppose to 4 or under mine was 7.5 The statians did bring it down. You ciould try eating lots of oily fish like trout ect .That helps to bring the level down