Heart Disease Expert Forum
Stenting the Left Diagonal artery and LAD Compromise

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I read a post on this board where the DR. from Cleveland Clinic stated that stenting the Left Diagonal can compromise the LAD. My question is in what way can it compromise the LAD? The response was vague, and has piqued my curiosity. Reason is that I just had a stent put in the left diagonal due to an 80% blockage. So now I'm worried about my LAD. The cath report stated that other than the left diagonal blockage, the LAD was "unremarkable." Here is the link to the post in question: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Chest-pain-and-Diagonal-Branch-blockage/show/254661
Having a stent placed in the diagonal branch could possibly compromise the LAD if the placed stent extends beyond the ostium of the diagonal branch and has a portion remaining in the LAD. However, this would be highly unusual given the technology in both stents and in the methods of stent placement have advanced so much over the years.  The reverse scenario (placing a stent in the LAD compromising the diagonal) is seen more often -- but again, is usually done in such a fashion that this can often be avoided in the hands of an experienced operator.  
Thanks so much. That helps explain it better.