Stents vs Open heart surgery in 88 yo woman
My mother is 88 years old.  We just found out last week that she has 4 totally blocked arteries.  Her internist is saying the should have open heart surgery, but the heart surg. is saying that stents would be better because of her age.  She does have high blood pressure and low hemogo. but otherwise the internist says she is in great health.  I would like to hear from some doctors in this issue.  I realize that you can't give me specifics, but maybe give me some questions to ask the surgeon before we decide.  Thanks for your help.

Sara Green
I have one totally blocked artery. There are other vessels that have taken on the burden to supply blood to the deficit blood supply from the blocked artery.  I haven't ever heard of someone having 4 totally blocked arteries.  But if that is true there obviously has to be other vessels that have developed to circumvent the total blockages.

It is possible to open totally blocked vessels and stent.  Some of the vessel blockage may not need any treatment, etc.  Open heart surgery for an individual over 80 is very risky, and usually only done when there is a life or death situation.

What you should ask is if there is ischemia (lack of blood flow) to critical areas of the heart, and if so how serious?  Is angioplasty to remove the plaque from the totally blocked vessel and stent the option suggested?
Takeing age into account, I would definitely opt for the stents. They are not painful and recovery is very quick. The only thing which can be a problem, is if the blockages are too calcified for the catheter to be pushed through them. There is a risk it can take a wrong turn and puncture the artery. I would just make sure the cardiologist has plenty of experience in such procedures because they are more tricky than none complete blockages.
I am passing through same dilema. Doctor ruled out stents because of multiple vessles involved at both ends.Best option acoording to dostor is CAGB. My health is fine now and I am even thinking not to go for . Because of collateral circulation I do not have any pain even during exercise.

In your case I think both alternatives are equally good or bad. Third alternative what I am thinking will depend on your thinking of life. No guarantee you go this way or that way.Then why?