Heart Disease Community
Stents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Stents

As you can see by my nickname, that 43 is the number of stents I have.  They are all on the left side of my heart except for two on the right.  I started in 2000 and had open heart in 2001 and 2005.  Can't tell you how many caths.  3 this year already.  My point is I think they cause more pain instead of helping.  I have chestpain everyday and severe sob.  My wife and I have both said that no one knows the long effects of these things, since they've only been around about 25 years.  I'll be 65 next month and feel like everyday is going to be my last.  I workout on a treadmill twice a day every Monday, Wed, Friday and use to do 2.75 miles in 30 min.  Now I'm lucky if I get a mile and ahalf in 30 min.  Going downhill fast.  Another appointment with my Cardiologist in the am.  Which by the way is a great guy.  For those of you who have been blown off by your docs b/c he/she did a stresstest and it was normal, find a new doc.  Stresstests are only 80% accurate.  If my doc had only gone by those results instead of listening to me, I'd be gone now.  God bless all of you and hang in there, at least were still alive!!!!!!!
All I can say is WOW. I believe the shortest stent is around 6mm in length which means you have 25.8cm of stenting in the left side or 10.2 inches. I have no idea how long the circumflex or left anterior descending are, but there can't be much room left?
The first thing which comes to mind is why you would have such aggressive progressive disease? Is this something to do with your lifestyle or have they given another reason?
I've had 10 stents now and my cardiologist has said that the next stage will be transplant if more blockages appear. I am also curious if you have had any stents re-block?
They're blaming it on Viet Nam and Agent Orange.  Believe it or not, all my cholesterol numbers are perfect and so are triglycerides. Yes, I have had stents restenos and actually have stents inside of stents.  Have 15 stents just in my vein bypass graft.  Which he says we're going to lose eventually.  Anyway, just got back from seeing him and we're going to try Ranexa for awhile.  I'll have to wait and see what happens.  Thanks for responding, Rich
Why the heck haven't they done a bypass surgery? I know popping in a stent is much less invasive but 43 stents is a bit of an overkill. I have a friend who had a single bypass surgery (he was close to 80) and he's been fine ever since. Each person is different but this is the strangest thing I've heard.

I hope the doctor figures out something soon to give you some more permanent relief.
Ranexa is a great drug, I hope it works for you.  Ranexa maximizes the amount of oxygen the heart can receive, but how it works is poorly understood.  From my experience, it is best teamed with Coreg or the generic equivalent.

I've had eight stents and thought that was a high number. I would suggest your doctors contact a teaching hospital for a second opinion, I think the vet hospitals have that option.  Have they discussed the option of a third bypass surgery?

Has it been suggested that you are having coronary artery spasms?  I have those and they started after my first stent.  I am at a point now after 8 years where I am able to stand them I used to live on Nitro. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right cocktail for me. They started with the CCB (Norvasc) and added magnesium.  Then last month I had to have 3 more stents.  I have to push myself to the brink to exercise, but I am not going to allow this heart disease to have me.  I may have heart disease, it will never have me.  Anyway, the spasms are something to consider.
I haven't had a third bypass surgery b/c believe it or not, they say I'm not eligible.  The arterie occluding are not major vessels that supposedly won't kill me but in Jan 2010, I was in the cath lab and they occluded the vein bypass with the balloon and I went into vtach and had to be shocked twice.  Woke up in ICU and thought where am I.  Anyway, if I occlude like that at home and go into vtach, I'm a deadman b/c you can't convert that at home and that's a lethal rhythm.  Thanks for responding, Rich
I've actually been on Coreg since 2001.  Just started the Ranexa a couple of days ago, so we'll see what happens.
My Cardiologist has considered spasms but the drug he put me on, I couldn't tolerate so he took me off.  I too exercise faithfully 6 times a week for 30 min 2.75 miles each time.  I use to do 40 min but found I couldn't tolerate it anymore.  I always tell my Cardiologist that it's either going to kill me, or I'm going to kill it.  You won't believe this but a couple of years ago, I worked out for 40 min in the am with chestpain and than in the pm started to workout again with chestpain and my wife caught me rubbing my chest and realized I was having pain and made me get off.  Went to the doc the next am for a stresstest and he even said "you know we're not going to find anything if you can workout that long with chestpain and not have a MI".  Drove 40 miles home and the phone was ringing and it was him, telling me not to do anything, that I was almost totallt occluded.  Had two more stents put in the next day.  I'm very lucky that I've only had one very minor MI with all of this.  Thanks for responding, Rich
just knowing there are brave souls like you soldiering on  puts my own plight in perspective (one stent). I will remember your posts when I feel down. I thank you for that.
You're more than welcome but I really don't know how much longer this can go on.  Everyday I feel like it's my last one and that's not a fun way to live but I will keep pushing ahead!!