Sternal Pain post removal of Wires
30 years ago, my husband had open heart surgery for a sub aortic stenosis.
About 1 year ago, my husband suffered severe chest pain. He had numerous tests and turns out that his sternal wires had snapped.
6 months ago, he had the wires removed. The surgeon explained to us that he could not remove 2 parts of wire, as he would have to drill the bone.
2 weeks ago, he has suffered severe chest pain again, in his sternum. We went back to the cardiothoracic surgeon. He has said there is nothing he can do for us, except send my husband to a pain specialist. He sent my husband for a CT scan and there were 3 parts of remaining wires.  
What else can we do? My husband is in a lot of pain.
The question is if he has an unstable sternum. If so, that is the likely source of his pain, not the wires. If it is moving then a device called the talon can fix this. Go to the web site rapid sternal closure.com and see the animation. If thgat is not the source of pain, then one should look at what the problem is if he is having that much pain and fix it, not take medicine. I hope this helps,respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs