Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sternum pain from fall after surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sternum pain from fall after surgery

I had open heart surgery 2 months ago.  I got knocked off my bike by a slow moving car. I got minor a leg bruse from that.  But, I began to feel a pinching pain in the lower right side of my sternum 1-2 days later  The pain is a 3 out of 10.  I feel it mostly when I turn my upper body to the left, no pain turning to the right.  Is this a concern?  I realize I my have jolted my system...should I get x-rays done or let it heal?

Please write back soon.  The problem is, that if my doctor finds out, he may not sign my release to get back to work on April 15th.  I'm down to my last savings.  I can't afford to wait any longer to get back to work. I have a family to support.

Thank you kindly,

Gary
Gary,

It certainly sounds as if you may be having some musculoskeletal pain related to your interaction with the car. I would certainly let your doctor know about your discomfort so that he can examine you and determine whether further action is necessary. I suspect that it is highly unlikely to be something that would prevent you from being able to go back to work.