Sternum pain
7 and a half weeks after 2X CABG, I had appointment with my Cardiac Surgeon . I explained to the surgeon that I sometimes have feeling of movement of rib cage and rib cage (other external material may be wires, staples) exerting pressure on chest skin. There is piercing sensation on right side and pain under the suture line. It is very sensitive to touch of clothes. There is also pain when coughing. He had look at the X-ray and compared with previous X-ray. He said that the recovery is fine. He reassured that no wires are protruding. Surgeon asked me to be involved in work and forget about the pain. He has given next appointment after 7 weeks...I am not sure if these pains will go away like magic...Any experiences to share..I am otherwise feeling energetic and joined my work.
How strange. In the UK after a triple bypass I was told no driving or lifting of anything heavier than a kettle full of water for three months. I too was in lots of pain, this is normal. The sensations are the nerves healing, which takes months. As the nerves have been cut, they need to join up and your brain will need to learn the signals again. Sometimes if I touched my skin it felt very hot, sometimes very cold, sometimes stabbing pains. The skin is very sensitive to the touch. It took exactly one year for the pains to stop in my chest, and I believed they would never go away. After 6 months, I was able to do much more physical work without lots of discomfort. It will heal.