Heart Disease Community
Stomach Pain After ByPass
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stomach Pain After ByPass

My 77 year old Dad  ad bypass surgery 8 weeks ago and is doing well given his age -- he is walking and doing phydical therapy with weights, etc.  He has lost his apetite and is rqapidly losing weight --down to 219 from  240 --all good I think.  The issue is he has stomach pain all of the time - and it is intense and he is very upset by it.  He has been to his primary care doc and they want to do some tests -  colonoscopy, etc -- he had those a year ago.  I feel like its anxiety causing it -- he is very anxious and extra worried about everything -- he is taking a low dose of Xanax along with other normal drugs post op -- statins, coumidin, etc,

Any ideas what this pain might be from and is it typical?
Related Discussions
Glad to hear that your father's doing well with walking and a therapy/exeercise program.

Are his bowels moving regularly? The body is shut down during bypass and this sometimes creates problems with the digestive/gastrointestinal system,
plus the pain medications can be quite constipating. Did he have any digestive issues before the surgery--like irritable bowel or gastritis?

Have the doctors been closely monitoring his clotting (INR) since he's been on Coumadin? (Is he taking his medication regularly? I know for my Dad, who is older, forgetting to take his Coumadin is an ongoing problem).

I'm not a doctor and I don't know how common this kind of pain is and what would be the most typical causes. But I do know that my good friend's mother, after having a heart attack as well as a bad stroke at the same time, had a lot of abdominal pain.
The situation is obviously different from your dad's, but the similarities are age,
both being on Coumadin, and both having cardiovascular disease.

She had considerable cognitive loss because of the stroke, so I think the doctors and everyone else kind of tended to minimize the risks and didn't really work her up as much as they could have to see why she was moaning all the time and what was really causing the pain. (My friend agrees). She ended up with a bleed and died within 2 days. (They don't know if it was an aneurysm or a GI bleed or what)

I don't say this to scare you, or to suggest that that's what's going on with your Dad.
I just know what my friend would say--Do everything you can to get your Dad a colonoscopy and if they suggest it, other tests as well. Anxiety can cause lots of digestive issues, but best not to assume that's what's causing this and be on the safe side.    

Please keep us posted as to what you find out! Take care of yourself, too. I can be worrisome, I know. Both my folks had heart surgery within 6 months of one another.
There are so many things to learn and so many unknowns. Thank goodness for the forum!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
Blank
skydnsr
212161_tn?1391090750
Blank
heartfluttersflyawayplz
hoschton, GA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Alex1872 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
11 hrs ago
5268376_tn?1406183312
Blank
Navywife21113 Few hours after taking the ... Comment
13 hrs ago
Blank
lizfal commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Jul 26
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979