Heart Disease Expert Forum
Stop Taking Pravachol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Stop Taking Pravachol
I have been taking Pravachol for 4 years and have developed sore/stiff neck muscles the past year or so. At my suggestion, my cardiologist said I could stop the Pravachol for about 15 days to see if it might be causing the muscle pain.  Is that long enough to get out of the system and stop the muscle problems?  I also take Imdur.  They said I had an Infarc some time ago that I was unaware of.  I had went in for chest pressure/shortness of breath and ended up I have COPD.
It should be long enough to get it out of your system but I kind of doubt that is what is causing your muscle pain.  Myositis, or inflammation of the muscles, can occur with cholesterol lowering medication but it is usually an early occurance.  Your doctor could check a muscle enzyme level or suggest a rheumatology consult if the pains continue.
I have been taking Pravachol for four or five years and have developed arthritis symptoms in my joints.  My shoulders and hips, along with other joints are sore and painful and wake me up at night.  I have never been a complainer, but now ache all over my bones and muscles.  Could this be related to Pravachol? The only other medication I am taking is Cardura for blood pressure and vitamins E and C.