Heart Disease Community
Strange Lightheaded spells throughout the day recently (last 1 month or...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Strange Lightheaded spells throughout the day recently (last 1 month or so)

38, exercise regularly but very sedentary otherwise (job requires me to sit a lot), and otherwise healthy as far as I know.  My BP is normal to high normal.  Resting HR is 55.  Have had echo, EKG, stress test a couple years ago and everything was normal except for very minor mital valve regurgitation--but it was very mild and most of the time that Dr. cannot even detect it on the stethoscope.  I do suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and agoraphobia.  

Stress has been higher last 1 month.  In this time I've also noticed times of the day where I feel lightheaded.  It almost always happens when I'm seated and often is after a meal (but not always).  I do think I noticed it even prior to this last month when stress levels weren't as high.  I have checked my BP and blood sugar when the lightheadedness comes on....they are normal.  

So I have NO CLUE what's going on???  Doctors at Kaiser say, "drink more water."  I drink tons of water...always have.  That's not it.  Before this started happening I could be totally dehydrated and I never felt this way.  Now I'm hydrated all the time and I get the spells.  And it's hard for me to blame anxiety cause it will happen at times I am totally calm and not stressed at all.  

Any ideas???  It's scary cause I can't help but to think it's a blood problem, stemming maybe from poor cardiac output.  Very scary!  Also makes me nervous as hell when I'm driving and it comes on.

Are you feeling lightheaded like if you weren't sitting down you would need to?  Or dizziness like you are going to fall over?

Have you changed anything in your diet?  Or changed your mediciation? Do you have any other symptoms when this happens?

Being lightheaded can be the sign of sooo many other things. Including stress. And just because you are not stressed at the moment does not mean your body still isn't feeling the results of it.

If you are that worried about your heart you could ask your doctor to run tests again to rule out anything cardiac. Sometimes reassurance is so helpful and if it is worrying you that much, I would push the issue with your doctors.

How do you test your blood sugar when it happens?  Or blood pressure, do you have a blood testing kit with you?  If so what are the numbers?
I have been having those same symptoms, in addition I often get the strangest sensations I am unable to describe, & a feeling that I have experienced it before.It starts in my head, I feel like a strange wave of heat &  out of body feeling. I just had a wellness check & all tests were in normal range. I feel faint,weak & dizzy real often as if I will pass out or have had a short period of being unconscious. I do think my hearing is worse & am to schedule a hearing test & tell him about the dizziness. I would in interested in hearing more of your symptoms, as I also have had a lot of stress the last three years. I am taking Prozac but haven't seen any difference.
Hi Sugie, hi Dolphin.  Thank you both for responding.  I don't feel like I have to sit down.  It usually occurs while I'm seated, actually, and getting up and walking often helps.  

I am on no meds, I don't drink, and I don't smoke.  A boring saint nowadays, lol.  

I test my blood sugar with those finger poking devices that get blood samples.  The numbers are usually around 90 or higher (up to 140, but that's usually right after I eat, which I'm told is normal).  Never has it once been below 75 in all my tests, and that 75 figure was just one time.  It almost always at least 85.  

Sugie, I think we both me in the same boat and I'm thinking it is anxiety.  My Dr. prescribe me Zoloft,  I started it 10 days ago but after a sleepless night I quit.  I sometimes take Klonopin for my anxiety, and I like that much better---fast acting, zero side effects.  I have heard Prozac works great for many high anxiety people, including a good girl friend of mine.  You haven't seen much help from it?  

I can have the symptoms both sitting and up doing things, I haven't been able to pin down any thing specific either way. I just feel like I am going to pass out, feel faint, dizzy and weak. I thought it could be hunger, but eating hasn't made any change. I feel like I am not in control of my body and mind, almost as if I am in another demention. It sounds strange to me to, but hard to explain. I hope someone has a explanation as my doctor didn't have any comments at all.
My doctor is/was useless in this matter too.  It seems it's extremely hard to pinpoint the cause of this dizziness.  Mine gets so bad sometimes that I just don't even want to leave the house, so it's really started to adversely affect my life.  I hope yours, and mine, will just dissipate over time.  But I'd really, really like to know where this came from.

I am to make a appointment to check my hearing, and explain the dizziness to see if that could be a conneciton. Several years ago I was hit by a car, thrown onto the hood, then back on the pavement where I hit my head. I also was hit in head 2 times by a TV flying off a upper shelf in a motor home while going down the road.Idiot didn't secure it 2 different times. I was told the last time I had a concussion, no follow up has ever been done. Does anyone know if it could be related? Right now as I sit typing, I am feeling light headed, dizzy and strange. I sure hope someone has an answer for us.
I have probably said this a million times but I'll say it again. To prevent dehydration, you need to be eating protein as well as drinking; the protein helps to hold onto the fluids in the body. People can drink all day long and still be dehydrated. Anxiety could certainly be playing into the picture here for both of you. Dizziness is usually a result of an inner ear issue and lightheadedness usually by a lack of bloodflow. You may not have an issue with the heart, but an issue with your arteries; if your corotid arteries are partially blocked, you could have an issue with the lightheadedness, even sitting in a chair. Have your arteries in the neck checked out.