Heart Disease Expert Forum
Strange arm and upper chest pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Strange arm and upper chest pain

I'm curious if I may have been having that may feel a little like a heart attack or is the signs that one is on the way.  I consider myself to be in pretty good shape.  I workout five days a week and sometimes more.  It's usually very intense also.  I normally do several rounds of thai boxing, weight lifting, and ride the stationary bike for around 40 minutes.

Over the past couple weeks I starting getting a weird feeling in my upper left chest.  It then seemed to progress to the chest pain and a sharp, like stop me in my tracks, pain in my left arm.  It seemed to have a pins and needles thing.  The odd thing is that it never hurts when I am working out.  That is the only time that I don't notice it.  I know I should probably just go to the doctor to have it checked but that isn't really an option for me right now.  I have no insurance and money is tight.  If this looks like it may be heart attack then I would go but I just can't afford to go in and find out it's nothing.  Any ideas on what might be going on in this body of mine?  

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble.  Your pain does not sound fully consistent with coronary artery disease, though it is still possible.  Any chest pain radiating to the left arm is concerning, but that fact that is gets better with exertion is not consistent with a coronary etiology.  It may be musculoskeletal in origin.  I certainly can't tell you via this forum that going to the doctor isn't necessary.  My advice would be to see your physician if you are having chest pain radiating to your left arm.  Ask about financial options to help pay for your medical care.  Many hospitals have financial advisers that can help.  Best of luck!