Heart Disease Expert Forum
Strange heart rate?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Strange heart rate?

Just a curious thought. I'm a reasonably healthy male, 28 years old. Don't smoke and have an average blood pressure. My heart rate, if taken over a minute is on average say 65 bpm
However the rhythm over say 10 to 15 seconds isn't consistent. I thought the rate that the heart beats should be steady, but mines seems to start steady, then gets quicker, then slows again. Its fairly consistent. Is this normal.

Danny
Danny,

What you may be experiencing is called sinus arrythmia. In normal healthy people, there is a normal rhythmic variation that occurs with our breathing pattern that causes the heart rate to speed up and slow down with each breath. It can be pretty pronounced especially in young healthy people.

There is really no way of telling exactly what the rhythm is without an ECG, but this would be a reasonable guess. You might mention it to your physician with your next checkup.

good luck
Ive thought about that same **** considering ALOT of people with palps(that ive talked to) have sinus arrythmia also...makes you think?????? But all the books ive read and people ive talked to claim the two arnt related but lets get real NO ONE REALLY KNOWS...keep the questions coming and the answers will follow(eventually:)

I still have a sinus arrhythmia, but not as pronounced as when I was younger teens to 20s. Probably because the atenolol  I take keeps my heart beating at a more steady beat(my theory only), I can't take the tachycardia after eating, also helps me achieve ultimate B/P control.

I do know alot persons with sinus arrhythmia tend to have or be more aware of PVCs & PACs, for some strange reason they also same to suffer with bouts of sinus tach and occasional SVT also.

Coincidental?! Who knows, I sure don't, but it might be worth doing a study on.
Yeah, they also will tell you that PVCs aren't linked to esophagus stuff, either, but I know darn well that when I have a bout of 2-3 PVCs close together, I almost always burp afterwards. My cardio rolls his eyes at that one and says, "I guess it's possible." Go to the Gastroenterolgy forum. You'll see TONS of people wtih the same thing. Google "GERD PVCs" and you'll find jillions of people with PVCs and burps, stomach rumbling, farts, etc. (sorry to get crude). No one knows a dang thing, which I think is what gets some of us so worked up. It's this big unknown. And it kind of pisses me off that they'll spend millions of dollars discovering a drug to help men get an erection, but they don't bother figuring this PVC stuff out. Ridiculous.
Am I mistaken, but doesn't EVERYONE in the world have sinus arrhythmia? I thought everyone's heart did that - speeds up on inhalation and out on exhalation...No?
Yeah, this variation is normal, but it is more pronounced in children.  In the elderly, it may or may not be "normal,"  and the term is rather loosly bandied about, anyhow.

http://rnbob.tripod.com/sinusarrhythmia.htm
I'm not a doctor, but I used to have the same thing when I was younger(now 41) still have it but not as pronounced. I was told by the cardiologist it was called sinus arrhythmia or a breathing arrhythmia, basically your heart speeds up a bit while breathing in and slows while exhaling, I'm told it is often a sign of good heart health  though some are very aware of it.
Yeah i too have that.. My heart rate increases upon inhale and then a quick pause and it slows during  exhale, Doc said its sinus arrhythmia . Wasnt too worried about it infact it was picked up right away on a ECG. All books i have read say it pretty common, even other animals experience it. But in reality all questions should be directed toward your doctor(s)> This forum is packed full of great support and information but you wount truley get peace of mind until you hear it from a doc. Good luck and keep us posted.
Great name!

I also have sinus arrhythmia. I've noticed it my whole life when taking/feeling my pulse. Many books I've read say it's totally normal and common - I've heard, too, that it's a sign of a healthy heart (it's not working hard when it doesn't have to and compensates by slowing down).
It does sound like sinus arrhythmia, which as everyone has already said is perfectly fine.  I have this rather noticeably also.  Do you notice that the speeding up occurs when inhaling and slowing down when exhaling?  It has to do with respiratory-related changes in stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve, part of the parasympathetic nervous system (often thought of as the "resting and digesting" division since that is when it is most active).
OK, excuse me for hypothesizing, but I'm kind of a 2-and-2 person, so I'm always looking for correlation. If sinus arrhythmia is common in healthy people, but some notice it more, and sinus arrythmia is also something stimulated by the vagus nerve, and since PVCs can also be stimulated by the vagus nerve (and are benign in a healthy heart), could it be that those predisposed to noticing or having sinus arrythmia would be more prone to PVCs? Not saying that one causes the other, but maybe it does. Maybe the lower rhythm on exhalation sparks a vagus PVC...I mention this because tickertock, I know you have found your PVCs to have pretty much subsided...is this also when the sinus arrhythmia went away? Hm....always looking for the answer, I am, but who knows...it's probably a long shot. Thought I'd post it anyway.
Well, if I have it, it is so slight that I can't detect it just feeling my pulse.  I'm 64.
I have a question for the forum.
I have Pvc's that has been with me now for about a month off and on.I have noticed that when my stmoach gurgles and is upset, I can feel the pvc's even more.I wonder does anyone else suffer like I do?
Hi Guys,

Quick question. Im 28, Male. Decent Heath.For about 5 years now. When I take A DEEP breath in, my heart beats really fast (maybe 140 bpm) but as soon as I exhale it goes back to normal (maybe 60 bpm). Some times on a DEEP breath it will beat fast 4-5 times, then return to normal even if I hold my breath. 98% of the time it only does this with a really DEEP breath. A few times its accur with smaller ones. It doesnt do it all the time. However some times I can take 3-4 Deep Breaths and feel it do it everytime. Sometimes it wont occur for 2 weeks.

Someone please comment. Ive been to the doctor 4 years ago soon after it first started and Had an endocar test done. Heart test shown everything was great. But I wasnt able to reproduce the rapid beat..Any ideas? I have worried about this for years. Should I?

Best Regards,

JDO
Ok here's my question i'm a 22 year old male who used to smoke for the last 5 years ive recently quit and its been about 3 weeks the main reason i quit is cause after a year or so after smoking cigerattes when i would lay down or get into a relaxed positon it would feel like im having heart palpatations it would race up really fast and i would get dizzy and out of breath but it would only last a few seconds maybe 5 at the most but also i have a lot of stress and sometimes i think it is anxiety cause i also have a reeally hard time sleeping and my eating habits are just sparatic and my mood is always changin even for no reason i dont understand why im like this it has never been a problem i ever had till just a few years ago so i guess does it sound like im having heart problems cause now its happenin a lot more often and sometimes i cant sleep cause when i fall asleep i wake up with this fast heart rate and an adreneline rush or is it my stress and anxiety thats causin all this.

A related discussion, Taking Toprol xl was started.