Heart Disease Expert Forum
Stress Test Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Stress Test Results

I am a 41 year old white male. 6'1" and 185 lbs. Approx. 2 months ago I began noticing skipped heart beats. After wearing a Holter monitor for 24 hours, I was told I was experiencing 260 PVCs per hour sometimes 2-3 in a row. The doctor put me on 100 mg of Toprol once a day. Thyroid function was below normal and I was given Synthroid.
I have not exercised much and my total cholesterol is 250. I wanted to start exercising. The doctor had me take a thalium stress test. I completed the treadmill portion successfully and the EKG showed nothing unusual. My BP was elevated by the the end of the test. Started at 115/70 and ended at 170/70.
The first thalium scan completed immediately after the treadmill looked normal. However, the second thalium scan completed approx. 3 hours later indicated reduced blood flow or potential blockages.
During the second scan I was experiencing multiple PVCs. Is it possible that the PVCs themselves would result in the second scan showing reduced blood flow in the heart?? What is the incidence of false positives in this type of  thalium scan??
I am scheduled for a cardiac cath. this week for a definitive answer. Thank you very much for considering my questions!
Given the abnormal stress test and risk factors for heart disease, it seems reasonable to proceed with the cardiac catheterization. The PVCs themselves should not induce blood flow problems in the heart. The incidence of false positive thallium scans depends on the prevalence of disease in the population studied. Under ideal circumstances, it is associated with a 10-15% rate of false positives.