Heart Disease Expert Forum
Stress Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Stress Test
I am a 31-yr-old female.  I had a exercise stress test done due to chest pain (because I am overweight, my dr. wanted to be sure).  I was able to exercise for 10 minutes before my heartrate maxed.  The results were negative.  So basically, I understand that means that chances are my chest pain is not heart-related.  But does a stress test rule out other things -- arrhythmias, etc.?  Also, is there a test that can be done to determine if you have a blockage in your arteries in your arms or legs?  Under what circumstances would such a test be done?
Dear Cayuga Jones,

A stress test will in general rule out flow limiting blockages in your coronary arteries.  

To determine if you have blockages in your arms or legs you could consider an ultrasound study.  I am not sure why you feel that you need this.  This would only be done if you had symptoms of pain in your legs or arms with exertion.