Heart Disease Community
Stress and Triglycerides levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Stress and Triglycerides levels

my cholesterol count is om (180) while my HDL (54) and my LDL (60) however my triglycerides raised to 365!
I am 40 yearsl old exercising since my childhood without interruptions, no overweight. But I have been facing a lot of stress during the last two years. Does it account for my triglyc?

This discussion is related to Normal Cholesterol High Triglycerides.
am not sure if stress affects it but i do know thats to high and you need to be on meds, i take tricor its a great med and my trics were over 600 got them down to 137 in 6 weeks
It appears so for some people, according to a new study that examines how reactions to stress over a period of time can raise a person's lipid levels.

Andrew Steptoe, D.Sc., and Lena Brydon, Ph.D., of University College London examined how individuals react to stress and whether this reaction can increase cholesterol and heighten cardiovascular risk in the future. Changes in total cholesterol, including low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL), were assessed in the participants before and three years after completing two stress tasks.

Their study found that individuals vary in their cholesterol responses to stress.Some of the participants show large increases even in the short term, while others show very little response. The cholesterol responses that we measured in the lab probably reflect the way people react to challenges in everyday life as well. So the larger cholesterol responders to stress tasks will be large responders to emotional situations in their lives. It is these responses in everyday life that accumulate to lead to an increase in fasting cholesterol or lipid levels three years later. It appears that a person's reaction to stress is one mechanism through which higher lipid levels may develop.

At the follow up three years later, cholesterol levels in all the participants in the study had gone up, as might be expected through passage of time. However, individuals with larger initial stress responses had substantially greater rises in cholesterol than those with small stress responses. The people in the top third of stress responders were three times more likely to have a level of 'bad' (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol above clinical thresholds than were people in the bottom third of stress responders. These differences were independent of their baseline levels of cholesterol levels, gender, age, hormone replacement, body mass index, smoking or alcohol consumption.

Hope this helps,

Jon