Heart Disease Expert Forum
Strong pulse throughout body

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Strong pulse throughout body

This is sort of hard to explain, but its almost as if whenever my heart beats it is so strong that I feel it throughout my body. It's been like this for a couple of months where it's most noticeable while I'm laying down. It's been getting worse and more frequent lately so it's making me kinda nervous.

You can even see my stomach and chest bounce along with my heartbeat but not only can I constantly feel my pulse in my stomach and chest but my eyes and head as well.

Like I said this has been going on for a few months now and I've been given a holter monitor to check for dangerous arrhymias but it came back normal.

Any idea of why I can feel/see my pulse everywhere?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
That is difficult to answer without knowing more about you, but sometimes this sensation occurs with elevated blood pressure.  If your blood pressure is normal, then it may be something else.  If you are young and thin, it is common to see the aorta pulsating in the abdomen.  If you are not young and thin, then sometimes that sensation and finding can be associated with an enlarged aorta (aneurysm) which can be ruled out with an ultrasound of the abdomen.  It is common for young, fit adults to have a similar sensation as you describe and it may just be a benign (not harmful) finding that is showing your heart is beating just fine!
Have you ever figured out what it was from? I'm going through same thing and it's driving me crazy.
This is a symptom of aortic regurgitation and a bicuspid aortic valve. An echo can confirm or deny this. It's called a "bounding pulse" .. the sensation that you can feel your heart beating, pulsing, through your body.
By the way, I've had this sensation my whole life, though it has gotten worse the last year. I've always been able to feel my heart beating and it's only this spring after some googling that I put two and two together and told the cardiologist I thought I might have a bicuspid valve and told him to give me an echo. Low and behold, that's exactly what I had.