Heart Disease Expert Forum
Struggling for breath?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Struggling for breath?

I have wrote before and would like to thank you all for your help and great service. Recently I have been experiencing a very annoying symptom. When I turn over to go to sleep at night I feel fine but just as I am about to nod off I leap up and feel as though I need to catch a breath, but I don't feel out of breath. This does not happen every night and I don't waken from sleep, it always seems to happen when I am about to doze off.I went to a cardiologist a month ago and he said I was fine with ekg.

What is happening me?
Related Discussions
Dear Jordan,
It is not uncommon for individuals to have some strange sensations in that stage between awake and asleep.  The only way to know for sure however is with a "sleep study" where your heart rate and breathing are monitored as you sleep.
8 Comments
Blank
I am NOT an MD, but having had similar experiences, this sounds like anxiety. I would make an appointment with a good family MD. Raising two teen-agers gave me ALOT of worries and I had many nights with similar feelings.  My family MD really helped me put things into perspective.
Blank
Does your heart race?  I have something like this as well, I beleive the term is sleeps starts hypnic jerks...
its always worth a trip to see the doctor just to rule out sleep apnea ect.
good luck.
Blank
80 yr old female with Dx of non ischemic cardiomypothy and non sinus V tach,GERD Had ICD placement which was complicated with hemothorax requiring chest tube thoracospy for evacuation.Was d/c home on Aldactone 25mg qd, lopressor 25mg qd, lasix 40mg po qd, vasotec 7.5mg po bid, prevacid 30mg po qd. Patient has generalized weakness and b/p runs low 75/55-110/61, pulse 71- 79. should she continue on these medications or do the need to be further decreased?
Blank
this site is a blessing.  i have so many symptoms that have been mentioned here. i also have trouble when i lay down to go to bed. at first, my heart starts to pound and then after a while, i sometimes have to sit up real fast because it feels as though my heart stopped and i can't breathe.  i am beginning to realize that this is a common problem and that i am not alone.  in some way, this helps me to try to cope with my problem.

thanks to everyone.
Blank
I have also that symptoms, but the doctor told it is anxiety, too. I have good breath but feels like if it will be without air for a moment. Also feel the palpitations, but when  beggining to calm down, not feel them anymore. I was made an echo, a stress test an electro and blood labs, and all was ok(thanks to God)
Blank
Boy oh boy! I love this site. Whenever I start to feel crummy, I come here and find exactly what I am looking for. It is 3:13 A.M. and I was sleeping soundly about an hour ago. I woke up to use the bathroom and when I was falling back asleep, I got that same feeling of losing my breath. Whenever it happens I feel like I have to take a really quick, deep breath. Usually that stops it for a bit. But then, after thinking about how it felt, I throw myself into a panic attack, and then it starts to happen quite frequently. Although it is a terrible feeling, I hear that it won't kill you. I read a LOT of these posts and hope that we can all feel better someday soon, because I know that if I don't get control over the way I feel, it will definitely control me and my whole life. Praise be to God!

Calebsdaddy
Blank
Hello,
        I too have this feeling just as I am drifting off to sleep .
You lie there comfortable, relaxed and eyes shut and just as you feel yourself falling asleep ,
BOOM  , ya sit bolt upright , clutching ya chest ( I do anyway:) and gasping for breath .
Been told nothing about it , and I've had it for years and I think it's when the engine skips a beat.
Feels to me like the heart stops , flood of adrenaline ( head to toe) booms back into rhythm and catch ya breath.
I sometimes get it in the daytime too ( very rarely ) and thats a sign to me that all is not well and time to see the Doc LOL .
Oh yeah , I have Wolf Parkinson White syndrome.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now