Heart Disease Expert Forum
Struggling for breath?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Struggling for breath?

I have wrote before and would like to thank you all for your help and great service. Recently I have been experiencing a very annoying symptom. When I turn over to go to sleep at night I feel fine but just as I am about to nod off I leap up and feel as though I need to catch a breath, but I don't feel out of breath. This does not happen every night and I don't waken from sleep, it always seems to happen when I am about to doze off.I went to a cardiologist a month ago and he said I was fine with ekg.

What is happening me?
Avatar n tn
Dear Jordan,
It is not uncommon for individuals to have some strange sensations in that stage between awake and asleep.  The only way to know for sure however is with a "sleep study" where your heart rate and breathing are monitored as you sleep.
Avatar n tn
I am NOT an MD, but having had similar experiences, this sounds like anxiety. I would make an appointment with a good family MD. Raising two teen-agers gave me ALOT of worries and I had many nights with similar feelings.  My family MD really helped me put things into perspective.
Avatar n tn
Does your heart race?  I have something like this as well, I beleive the term is sleeps starts hypnic jerks...
its always worth a trip to see the doctor just to rule out sleep apnea ect.
good luck.
Avatar n tn
80 yr old female with Dx of non ischemic cardiomypothy and non sinus V tach,GERD Had ICD placement which was complicated with hemothorax requiring chest tube thoracospy for evacuation.Was d/c home on Aldactone 25mg qd, lopressor 25mg qd, lasix 40mg po qd, vasotec 7.5mg po bid, prevacid 30mg po qd. Patient has generalized weakness and b/p runs low 75/55-110/61, pulse 71- 79. should she continue on these medications or do the need to be further decreased?
Avatar n tn
this site is a blessing.  i have so many symptoms that have been mentioned here. i also have trouble when i lay down to go to bed. at first, my heart starts to pound and then after a while, i sometimes have to sit up real fast because it feels as though my heart stopped and i can't breathe.  i am beginning to realize that this is a common problem and that i am not alone.  in some way, this helps me to try to cope with my problem.

thanks to everyone.
Avatar n tn
I have also that symptoms, but the doctor told it is anxiety, too. I have good breath but feels like if it will be without air for a moment. Also feel the palpitations, but when  beggining to calm down, not feel them anymore. I was made an echo, a stress test an electro and blood labs, and all was ok(thanks to God)
Avatar n tn
Boy oh boy! I love this site. Whenever I start to feel crummy, I come here and find exactly what I am looking for. It is 3:13 A.M. and I was sleeping soundly about an hour ago. I woke up to use the bathroom and when I was falling back asleep, I got that same feeling of losing my breath. Whenever it happens I feel like I have to take a really quick, deep breath. Usually that stops it for a bit. But then, after thinking about how it felt, I throw myself into a panic attack, and then it starts to happen quite frequently. Although it is a terrible feeling, I hear that it won't kill you. I read a LOT of these posts and hope that we can all feel better someday soon, because I know that if I don't get control over the way I feel, it will definitely control me and my whole life. Praise be to God!

Calebsdaddy
Avatar n tn
        I too have this feeling just as I am drifting off to sleep .
You lie there comfortable, relaxed and eyes shut and just as you feel yourself falling asleep ,
BOOM  , ya sit bolt upright , clutching ya chest ( I do anyway:) and gasping for breath .
Been told nothing about it , and I've had it for years and I think it's when the engine skips a beat.
Feels to me like the heart stops , flood of adrenaline ( head to toe) booms back into rhythm and catch ya breath.
I sometimes get it in the daytime too ( very rarely ) and thats a sign to me that all is not well and time to see the Doc LOL .
Oh yeah , I have Wolf Parkinson White syndrome.